Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Russ_H wrote:I can understand the point about him being uninsured thus not able to compensate financialy to a third party if the worst happened, but to imply he became more dangerous when he became technicly uninsured?, perhaps I am missunderstanding your point, I hope so.

I think it is a very long time since insurers have been able to wriggle out of a claim on that sort of grounds. In fact if they could avoid paying out because the driver had done something illegal they'd hardly ever have to pony up!
cockney steve liked this
matthew_w100 wrote:
Russ_H wrote:I can understand the point about him being uninsured thus not able to compensate financialy to a third party if the worst happened, but to imply he became more dangerous when he became technicly uninsured?, perhaps I am missunderstanding your point, I hope so.

I think it is a very long time since insurers have been able to wriggle out of a claim on that sort of grounds. In fact if they could avoid paying out because the driver had done something illegal they'd hardly ever have to pony up!

I asked this very question on the Flying Display Directors' Course earlier this year to 2 very senior insurance professionals and an insurance lawyer. They categorically stated that insurance would likely be invalidated if the licences/paperwork were not in order for a display pilot - hence the requirement for a FDD to do a 100% check of all documentation. They used the word 'likely' as there may exceptional circumstances - ie. errors on the paperwork taken in good faith - that may be deemed to apply. However, they were in no doubt that a pilot flying without producing a valid licence would not be underwritten for any losses.

I for one, would not want to test this in a Court of Law!

Best

Gaz
Waveflyer liked this
Dave W wrote:...originals ... Cert of Registration and the Cert of Airworthiness: So 2 bits of paper. Everything else - including a big chunky AFM - can be a copy, electronic or otherwise.

Better than that...
GM1 NCO.GEN.135 wrote:The documents, manuals and information may be available in a form other than on printed paper. An electronic storage medium is acceptable if accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.

NB The documents, not just the copies.

Our FOI* recently agreed that all our original CAT a/c docs** are originals in electronic form and could therefore be on EFB*** ... so no paper required (apart from the Journey Log, but we're working on that).

Now, where's the equivalent statement in the ANO for Annex II a/c...? :roll:

* other FOIs are available; other NAAs have other FOIs; standards may vary across a, er, standard EASA.
** CofR, CofA and radio licence, under CAT.GEN.MPA.180.
*** accessibility, usability and reliability assured by a 6 month EFB trial.
Dave W, G-BLEW liked this
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:
patowalker wrote:It is not only the aircraft that determines what you have to carry. If you fly a Eurostar SL, or any other Annex II aircraft, on an EASA Licence in the UK, you need to carry a chart, the licence and photo id. This is why I fly my SL on an NPPL in the UK and on a LAPL abroad. :)

Patowalker - I believe that you are not using the EASA privileges of your EASA licence when you fly Annex II in the UK? It is the UK ANO that grants you the exemption to fly Annex II. Further, I believe that is why you can fly Annex II aircraft with an EASA PPL and CAA self declared medical in UK airspace (see CAP1441). If you were required to follow the document carriage requirements of EASA in UK airspace then you would not be able to use a CAA declaration. Anyway, that is how I interpret the ANO and the privilege that it gives me as an EASA PPL with differences training to fly.

References:

CAP1441 - CAA medical standards and licence types: https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP1441_MedicalLicenceTable_V10(08March2017).pdf

Irv Lee's excellent compendium of licences, privileges and medical types:
http://www.higherplane.co.uk/faqeasa.html
http://www.higherplane.co.uk/combos.html

I would be grateful if you could point me in the direction as to why you think that is wrong.

Best

Gaz

Gaz,
I think you misunderstood what I wrote: I fly my Annex II aircraft in the UK on an NPPL SSEA and a LAPL medical, to avoid carrying a licence on board. If I were to exercise the privileges of my LAPL in the UK, I would need to carry it, together with the medical and photo id.
gaznav liked this
By Dave W
patowalker wrote:I fly my Annex II aircraft in the UK on an NPPL SSEA and a LAPL medical, to avoid carrying a licence on board. If I were to exercise the privileges of my LAPL in the UK, I would need to carry it, together with the medical and photo id.

And as I'm sure all psychology experts would unanimously agree, there is absolutely zero chance of any human factors error in that, at any time.

No, wait.
Regarding whether a photo ID is required with an EASA licence used for flying EASA Aircraft or Non-EASA Aircraft, my actual EASA licence states in Section IX

Validity:
This licence shall remain in force for the holder's lifetime unless revoked, suspended or varied
The privileges of the licence shall be exercised only if the holder has a valid medical certificate for the required privilege.
Non-EASA Aircraft - In accordance with and subject to the provisions of the United Kingdom Air Navigation Order this licence is valid for aircraft registered in the United Kingdom for which the flight crew member is not required to hold a Part-FCL licence.
A document containing a photo shall be carried for the purposes of identification of the licence holder.

(I have preserved the paragraphing/line breaks at the end of the sentences so as not to influence interpretation).

As the bit about photo ID is after the bit about Non-EASA aircraft, my non-lawyer interpretation is that if I am using this licence for EASA Aircraft or Non-EASA Aircraft I shall be carrying photo ID.
Other forumites opinion may vary. :wink:
By GrahamB
patowalker wrote:I fly my Annex II aircraft in the UK on an NPPL SSEA and a LAPL medical, to avoid carrying a licence on board.

Jeez, is your aircraft -that- tight on weight and balance? :lol:
By T67M
G-BLEW wrote:
What's a "journey log"?

See this post

That post didn't answer the question of how far back the journey log needs to go. Does it just cover this flight? Flights today? In the last 24 hours? Since last maintenance? Since first flight of the aircraft?
By patowalker
GrahamB wrote:
patowalker wrote:I fly my Annex II aircraft in the UK on an NPPL SSEA and a LAPL medical, to avoid carrying a licence on board.

Jeez, is your aircraft -that- tight on weight and balance? :lol:

No, my wallet is bulging with credit cards. No room in it for licence or photo id. :)