Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GrimReaper
Good evening everybody

Landing slots are now available - please check your e-mail for how to access these. Please now start contacting your veterans, if you've not already done so, and let me know that you're in touch.

Joining instructions won't be too far behind, we are just trying to iron out a couple of last minute amendments.

As ever, any queries, please shout.
Rob L, rats404 liked this
By mmcp42
Just for the avoidance of doubt (especially for the hard of thinking) slot times are local?
Cheers

(and very much appreciate all your hard work!)
By GrimReaper
Afternoon everybody

Pilots joining instructions are now available for download. You can find these by clicking on the attached link: http://www.projectpropeller.org/PP/info.asp.

The password is the same as for the landing slots, which you'll find in the e-mail I sent out yesterday.

I will also send out this information in e-mail, but will do this in stages because I'm limited in the number of messages I'm able to send.

When you see the document on screen, it looks like there is some misalignment in formatting. I've tried to resolve this, but without success. However, if you click download (top right hand corner) then open the document in Microsoft Word, it should all line up perfectly.

Cautionary Note

I refer you to Paragraph 12 - which instructs pilots to stay with their aircraft and await transport. This may be subject to change, owing to insurance issues. We can insure damage caused to aircraft by taking out an Airside Liability policy. However, we are yet to find a way to insure the damage to the vehicle itself when it crosses to air-side.

The fall-back position is that we find a procedure for aircraft to drop off their veterans immediately adjacent to the hangar, and then taxi to parking.

This is certainly not ideal, and will have negative impact on both arrival and departure procedures. We're still trying to find a solution, but I wanted to alert you to this issue at an early stage.

If anyone has any bright ideas on how to solve the problem, I'd be delighted to receive them. We simply cannot have veterans, all of whom are now well over 90, walking long distances.
By rats404
Got them, and briefing supplied to my veteran's daughter. I'll pack some folding chairs and we'll have a nice sit down until the transport arrives. Just a thought - what insurance does the RFFS crash wagon have?

There must be an insurance bod on here who can advise .
By GrimReaper
I have spoken to a broker at Haywards, and at Traffords. Their synopsis was thus:

"Aviation underwriters hate cars. Motor underwriters hate aircraft"

We've asked if they could incorporate a general (say) £25k general risk provision, the answer was a resounding "no". Even golf buggies need insurance, we've looked at hiring those.

We're talking to airfield residents at the moment, so hoping that might throw up a solution. We're informed that the fire vehicles at HG aren't available.
By neaton
Just so I understand the problem correctly, is it that you can insure a vehicle should it cause damage to the airfield, the aircraft or people, but you cannot insure a vehicle itself for damage to that vehicle?
By GrimReaper
neaton wrote:Just so I understand the problem correctly, is it that you can insure a vehicle should it cause damage to the airfield, the aircraft or people, but you cannot insure a vehicle itself for damage to that vehicle?

Yes - that's the nail on the head.
By neaton
OK, so what you need is someone prepared to sign a Huge Official Disclaimer saying "If I damage my own car, it's down to me".

In which case I and my 4/5 seater Rav4 are at your disposal on the 17th of June. I will try not to drive into any walls. If I do, it's on me.

OK?
Cessna57 liked this
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The problem does seem rather silly. PP has insurance in case the rented buses hit and / damage an aircraft. The issue is that the buses are not insured for damage to themselves whilst driving on the airfield.

Newton has hit the nail on the head.

One solution is to find Wolverhampton based pilots who will volunteer to drive their own cars on the airfield (under their own insurance) to drive the veterans from aircraft parking to the hangar where the event will take place.

A second solution is to just run the buses on the airfield and accept the minuscule risk that one might suffer damage on the airfield. In the very unlikely event that any damage does occur, it will most likely have occurred on the public roads during the transit to / from the airfield.
By neaton
For the avoidance of doubt, that's a firm offer by the way. I'd love to be involved in PP, but I'm not current so flying's not an option. Ferrying people between aircraft and buildings (and back again) is definitely within my capabilities. I'm fully prepared to accept any risk to my vehicle, and sign any disclaimers needed.
By GrimReaper
Neaton - thank you so much for your offer, which we're very happy to accept.

Could you please send me a DM with your contact details, and I'll brief you on the current state of play?
By kanga
ISTR for the last PP at Staverton GR/MP3 managed to sweettalk some local posh (Mercedes ?) car dealer into providing cars and drivers for a shuttle :thumright: However, it may have helped that there are a few car dealers' premises near the Business Park which was the route between the N end of 18/36 and JAM.
By GAFlyer4Fun
I suppose for minimum risk you need drivers familiar with driving on active airfields that do it for their day job and might volunteer for a good cause. It might be easier for them to arrange any insurance based on experience?

How about those that provide the mandatory handling service at some regional airports?
How about the RAF drivers? e.g. from Cosford