Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There was something quite nice about PP this year. Most years past we have been somewhere private, either somewhere fairly exclusively taken over, or somewhere away from the general public. However this time the airport was functioning, the cafe was open and the public were milling around. While the event was in the hangar, there were veterans wandering around with the general public, and the public could wander around and chat to the veterans, and they could also see the myriad of aircraft which had brought everyone in, along with specials such as the Auster, the Beech, the Miles and the Stearman. The Auster especially went down well with crowds around it consistently. At one point I went over to try and make sure Peter, the owner, had been fed!

I had a nice chat with a few veterans but sadly not even a small proportion of those present. It would take a lifetime to listen to all the stories these chaps could tell.

Graham and the crew made a fantastic job of organising once again. All hail the sandwich and tea makers, and there were so many biscuits that even Merville, my veteran, couldn't finish them all! ;-)
gasman, Rob L, rats404 and 2 others liked this
By Rob L
Paul_Sengupta wrote:...While the event was in the hangar, there were veterans wandering around with the general public, and the public could wander around and chat to the veterans...

I "lost" my very mobile Veteran on several occasions, my fault not his.
When the Lancaster flew over, I saw him standing against the flight-line fence, leaning against his walking stick, chatting to a young couple with small children who seemed to have just come up because of the activity. Oblivious to me, they were all chatting amiably, and after the fly-by this young couple (in their twenties I guess) shook John's hand and (in my hearing) thanked him. :D
rats404, mmcp42, Stu B and 3 others liked this
By adamkpplir
What an amazing event. I am so pleased to have been able to have flown my veteran in given the weather which I know grounded a few people. It was great meeting so many people. My attempt to capture the Lancaster fly past is below. Thanks to Graham for being able to find a veteran for me, and for organsising such an amazing event, I really enjoyed it!!!

Rob L, Aerials liked this
By GrimReaper
Good evening everybody

I just wanted to check in, primarily to thank everybody both for the kind words above, but also for the numerous e-mails I've received.

I still don't have final details, but I think approximately 83 of the 110 scheduled arrivals got through. More than I was expecting, following a spate of early withdrawals. There's no criticism in that comment - a pilot's operational decision will never come under pressure from me.

I'm always somewhat embarrassed to receive thanks for things that aren't of my doing; my friend and colleague Harry Burgoyne looks after virtually everything that takes place after your wheels touch the ground, and the smoothness of the operation in and around the hangar is wholly due to him and the rest of the Ground team.

I was really touched to read Paul's comments about veterans mingling with public; I've always found the notion of ensconcing ourselves with veterans in a hangar, away from the general public, absolutely bemusing. Our veterans are national treasures, and they won't be with us in numbers for much longer. Let the public meet them, talk to them, and understand the enormity of the sacrifice. They will remember.

A few of the many highlights of my day were these:

1. At Cosford in 2015, we managed to get 4 veterans together, who'd all been in the same PoW camp, and all on the same Long March. After the event, I found out that there'd been a 5th, Jim Mulhall, and I badly wanted to assemble them again. Sadly, weather intervened in 2016 and 2017 to prevent Jim travelling, and one of the original 4 passed away. We finally assembled the remaining 3 at Wolverhampton, and found another who'd also been in the same camp. 4 Kriegies together again for the first time in 74 years.

2. Two days before the event, I got a call from Bernard Ennis, a Sunderland Air Gunner - shot down in the Bay of Biscay in 1944. He asked if it was too late to come, which of course it wasn't. He was driven up from the South Coast because he didn't want to fly. Only on driving through the gates did he recognise it as the base he trained at in 1943 - he hadn't realised that RAF Bobbington and Halfpenny Green were one and the same place. We only had 1 other veteran with a connection to Halfpenny Green - Joe Stanley was a gunnery instructor there. You guessed it - Joe was Bernard's instructor, and they happened upon each other by chance, and each recognised the other. Wow.

3. The meeting between Mellissa Shepherd and John Ottewell DFM. Mellissa's father was an Air Gunner, but passed away when she was young. John was the navigator on her father's Lancaster. Knowing that PP helps make connections like this is hugely satisfying.

4. The collection of vintage aircraft on display - they really added a lovely touch to the whole proceedings. My thanks to Rob, for engineering the Beech 18; we very much hope to see it again next year. Rusty's flight in the Stearman was wonderful - I'm so proud to be able to call him a friend.

5. The Lancaster - I've never seen the Lanc flying at a PP event before; I must confess that I abused my position and watched the display from atop the Tower with my mum, wife & kids, and my best friends who worked on the catering line all day. No photos taken, because there are people better equipped than me to do this; just reflecting on some very dear friends made, and one in particular (now RIP), that it's been my privilege to meet in my 5 years of airside planning.

I will always thank you, the pilots, for the time and trouble that you go to, to make our veterans feel like the heroes that they are. Some of you undertake large repositioning exercises. Some of you redeploy at very short notice. Some undertake flights entirely outside of Project Propeller and undertake wonderful, unforgettable trips for veterans. To all who participated - and all who offered to participate, but weren't fortunate enough to be allocated a veteran - my heartfelt thanks.

If there's any way you think that the event can be improved, either for yourselves as pilots, or for our guests, please feel free to drop me an e-mail.

And so on to 2019 - the venue has now been identified, and no, I'm not telling yet*. The date is yet to be finalised, but I hope to have everything confirmed in the coming days. Stand by for further communication.

Best wishes to you all - fly safe.

Graham

*will reveal venue in return for large denomination, non-sequential bank notes... :lol:
mmcp42, adamkpplir, neilmurg and 14 others liked this
By GrimReaper
Just a quick addition - my Mrs was working on the catering line. She just advised me that she overhead a pilot ask "are these drinks complimentary, because I've just had to pay £30 at the registration desk?"

Only the veterans contribute - and whilst I don't agree with that policy, that's another story - however, there's obviously been a mistake or a misunderstanding at the desk. If you were that pilot, or know who it was, could you please get in touch, as I'd like to correct this.
By matspart3
Graham

Harry, the ground teams and airfields all play their much welcomed part, but you, Sir, are an absolute star.

With each bus load I delivered you were able to quickly recall the veterans names, squadrons and accompanying pilots. That goes way beyond ‘just organising an event’ and makes an enormous contribution to the day that these wonderful old fellas enjoy. To spend time in their company is a privilege and you make that happen.

Hats off to you for your unstinting efforts in making this happen.
gasman, neaton, rats404 and 3 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
matspart3 wrote:you were able to quickly recall the veterans names

Merville was absolutely astonished Graham remembered him and greeted him by name. When we got back we called into his daughter's for a cup of tea and it was one of the first things he said about the day!
By rats404
One quick suggestion Graham, can we try and avoid Father's Day next year? I got a little bit of stick from my Head of Domestic Operations about that, but she appreciates how important the event is.
By johnm
I have never understood the importance placed by some on birthdays and Father’s Day/ Mother’s Day. We acknowledge them with the odd card and small present and, if convenient, a family get together might be arranged but they wouldn’t get on the list in competition with PP :-)
By Paul_Sengupta
velostar wrote:Does all this great work get reported in the mainstream press?

There was a thing about it on BBC Midlands Today News, but the link doesn't work any more. I guess they only put the news up for a day or two.
By GrimReaper
RAF piece has just appeared on their Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/RoyalAirForce/status/1009047994640060417

The BBC West Midlands coverage is here: https://www.facebook.com/MidlandsBBC/videos/10156357874704761/

A piece in the Express and Star is here: https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/wolverhampton-entertainment/2018/06/19/veterans-reunite-at-airfield/

Thank you for all the kind words above, they really are appreciated.

As for next year's date - we will be aiming to avoid Father's Day. I appreciate that it means different things to different people, but the fact remains that we had difficulty sourcing Air Cadets because of the clash, so it make sense to avoid it if we can.
Paul_Sengupta liked this
By rats404
johnm wrote:I have never understood the importance placed by some on birthdays and Father’s Day/ Mother’s Day. We acknowledge them with the odd card and small present and, if convenient, a family get together might be arranged but they wouldn’t get on the list in competition with PP :-)

Me too, but it wasn't about me, it was about my 85 year old Father-in-law. He won't have many more, so the Boss was a bit touchy about me not seeing him.
By johnm
Me too, but it wasn't about me, it was about my 85 year old Father-in-law. He won't have many more, so the Boss was a bit touchy about me not seeing him.

I can understand that but I used to take my FiL down the pub every 6 months as he lived near my dentist :-)