Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Talkdownman
flyingeeza wrote:as my instructor lights up his pipe...with proper matches!

Dear old Brian Lecomber was good for that, pipe or a 'roll-up'. Back in the sixties I did some famil flying on the CAFU Doves, and those old pilots would hand over control whilst they opened the DV window, shook out out the 'dottle' from their pipes, and reloaded. It may have been VMC outside but it was often IMC inside...
By neilmurg
Tim Dawson wrote:..why is the trigger lock always disabled in this country?
because of the risk of leaving it running unattended. But I believe that as a result we get a higher flow rate, so quicker filling.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There is pretty much zero risk in leaving it unattended. Have you -ever- had the auto cut-off not work?

What you need is a 1mm x 30mm split pin (cotter pin) on your keyring ;)

10p from any hardware store.
By Barcli
stevelup wrote:There is pretty much zero risk in leaving it unattended. Have you -ever- had the auto cut-off not work?

Its what your filler cap is for guys......
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By rikur_
Tim Dawson wrote:With apologies for the thread drift, why is the trigger lock always disabled in this country?

I don't know whether it relates to the reason - but looking at various youtube videos of filling fires in other countries, there seems to be a common theme of the person walking away, and then a fire flaring up as they come back to remove the pump. I assume this is a static spark as they touch the pump to remove it ..... so intentional or otherwise, by forcing you to hold the pump during filling it seems to reduce the risk of a static spark.
By Miscellaneous
cockney steve wrote:...and as the trigger-lock is disabled on self-serve pumps, you have to keep hold of the trigger.

Not quite true, commercial pumps, with significantly higher flow, do not tend to have the locks disabled. Granted they are generally too large a diameter to fit in most cars. Nevertheless the point being not all pumps are disabled.
By MikeB
For those interested, the Energy Institute produce some pragmatic advice concerning the hazards at filling stations (including the use of mobiles) here
By cockney steve
To stop people leaving the fill unattended?.....A license-holder on an attended station (remember them?) would train their staff to properly insert the nozzle, having first placed a protective felt pad on the bodywork, surrounding the filler- orifice.
Today, there is no way to ascertain the level of competence of the self-server. In the unlikely, but possible event of a latched nozzle slipping out, the balance of the preset 100 litre dispense could conceivably pump all over the forecourt. The safety implications are enormous. Incidentally, there is usually a spiral wire wound on the nozzle, this catches on the edge of the filler.....secondly, the kickback valve would probably operate as a nozzle slipped out,as the fuel-flow would tend to spray across the filler-neck,instead of down it. lastly, the preset limited dispense. a maximum of 100 litres in any uncontrolled spillage.

Many modern cars have a restrictor or flap in the filler-neck, this further helps with fill-nozzle alignment and retention and is sized to help prevent mis-fuelling (Derv and Petrol nozzles are different diameters.)
By Crash one
Refuelling cars on forecourts is relatively safe today. Aircraft are not quite the same.
With regards to competence and accountability of authorities, the BBC reporting on Hillsborough might put a squib up some asses.
Football spectators will now be banned throughout. :twisted:
By TheKentishFledgling
stevelup wrote:There is pretty much zero risk in leaving it unattended. Have you -ever- had the auto cut-off not work?

I tried this recently and got a b***ocking over the forecourt tannoy. To be expected, or did I just get a real jobsworth?
By PeteSpencer
Crash one wrote:Refuelling cars on forecourts is relatively safe today. Aircraft are not quite the same.
:

Ain't that the truth: I shudder to recall how close my face gets to the tank inlet as I squint inside to make sure I fill up to the top.... :roll:

Peter
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Ah. It's one of those things where it's horribly dangerous so it isn't done in Britain, and yet this is a standard feature of pumps in other countries.
By PeteSpencer
neilmurg wrote:
Tim Dawson wrote:..why is the trigger lock always disabled in this country?
because of the risk of leaving it running unattended. But I believe that as a result we get a higher flow rate, so quicker filling.

But who has a tank big enough to take so long as even to need to leave the filling unattended?

Unless you need to go off and take a dump, I guess :lol:

Peter
By Crash one
PeteSpencer wrote:
Crash one wrote:Refuelling cars on forecourts is relatively safe today. Aircraft are not quite the same.
:

Ain't that the truth: I shudder to recall how close my face gets to the tank inlet as I squint inside to make sure I fill up to the top.... :roll:

Peter

Just strike a match for a closer look :D