Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having lots of relatives in the Plymouth area, I very much look forward to the return of an operational airport. That area really is rather bereft of usable airports . On my wish list would be that they get a rather less grumpy guy in the tower and drop their insistence on PPR.

Iceman 8)
Iceman wrote:Having lots of relatives in the Plymouth area, I very much look forward to the return of an operational airport. That area really is rather bereft of usable airports . On my wish list would be that they get a rather less grumpy guy in the tower and drop their insistence on PPR.

Iceman 8)

Be easier to start off as a FISO unit then upgrade if it gets busy enough. That way commercial operators could still use the airfield and could design their own 'company use only' iaps.
You won't get away from being PPR unless it becomes a 'Public' licensed airfield rather than 'Ordinary' but PPR, as you are aware, can mean different things to different airport operators; look at the differences between Blackbushe (mandatory PPR by phone) and Fairoaks (call on the RTF a few minutes out unless it is your first visit. We're pretty relaxed about that last bit too)
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
I think that I only ever went in there twice in its previous incarnation, the second time whilst out for a south coast bumble and just wanting to call in for a quick impromptu toilet stop. The ear ache I got over the RT for not having got PPR for this unforeseen stop was incredible. Anyone would think that the guy was as busy as Heathrow but there was not another aircraft on frequency for my whole approach and landing, so what exactly was wrong with PPR over the radio :roll: :roll: ?

Iceman 8)
By Peter Gristwood
The Plymouth SATCO was a bit of a nit-picker. We had a Devon Strut Flyin there and hi-vis were required, we had to telephone to cross towards the terminal and, if we didn't follow the yellow line painted on the apron, we got a severe earbashing

And we had to go through the full International Airport security check when leaving.

Plymouth Airport is in a perfect location for GA. It is still in usable form, and it is almost 2 years since there was the hope it might reopen. I see that Sutton Harbour have further proposals

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/201 ... h-airport/

I hope it will reopen, but we do need to see some positive action soon
Peter Gristwood wrote:The Plymouth SATCO was a bit of a nit-picker. We had a Devon Strut Flyin there and hi-vis were required, we had to telephone to cross towards the terminal and, if we didn't follow the yellow line painted on the apron, we got a severe earbashing

And we had to go through the full International Airport security check when leaving.

Surely those are the rues of the airport operator, not ATC.
ATC do not 'control' individual people on the apron or in the terminal.
Peter Gristwood wrote:The Plymouth SATCO was a bit of a nit-picker. We had a Devon Strut Flyin there and hi-vis were required, we had to telephone to cross towards the terminal and, if we didn't follow the yellow line painted on the apron, we got a severe earbashing

Plymouth Airport is in a perfect location for GA. It is still in usable form, and it is almost 2 years since there was the hope it might reopen. I see that Sutton Harbour have further proposals

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/201 ... h-airport/

I hope it will reopen, but we do need to see some positive action soon

That article is five months old and was written before the council rejected it.

It would be nice to see it re open as a GA/Biz airport welcoming to all.
Like every other pilot I am delighted to hear that Plymouth Airport is due to re-open as a GA airport, subject to a viability report. To that end, I did suggest that FlyPlymouth considers having 30 hangar homes on the strip of land north of the main runway, which would bring in about £3m in capital from the sale of the plots, and over £50k pa in landing card and maintenance charges. FlyPlymouth said they want to use that area for a new terminal building, which is absurd given the limited space and having already got one south of the runway. The 30 hangar homes north of the main runway would not impede flying operations at all, and there is also enough room for another to be used as a clubhouse for residents and visiting pilots, with a swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam room in the 'hangar', gym in the 'garage', changing rooms and showers in the entrance, and a restarant and bar upstairs with a balcony overlooking the airfield. I hope that common sense will prevail and that FlyPlymouth will reconsider this scheme which will help make the airfield more sustainable. For more information please visit: http://www.hangarhomes.co.uk
Another very positive meeting was held last night at the Future Inn in Derriford. However, more is still needed, in particular letters of support. Please include some detail as to why you support protection of Plymouth Airport for aviation use.

Letters can be sent to:

FlyPlymouth
Office 18
Genesis Building
215 Union Street
Plymouth
PL1 3HN

or emailed to:

mail@flyplymouth.org

Website is:

http://www.flyplymouth.com

I have sent my letter already; my interest is both as a commercial pilot, instructor, private pilot and resident of south east Cornwall. Should the outcome not be favourable then I will also pass into history as skipper of the last scheduled commercial flight from Plymouth (the Air Southwest Glasgow - Plymouth - Newquay service on July 28th 2011). Please help me avoid this sorry fate and support the eventual resumption of aviation from Plymouth Airport!