Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Joe Dell
Flown in there twice on Targett business. Felt I'd have been much more welcome if I'd had a silly hat and no engine. It was a struggle the second time even to get permission as some guy had wiped the training wheel off an RV and they'd gone into ultra anti-powered mode.
By robert79
Nice club and a friendly place to glide from, but I'd never even consider taking the Arrow into there. It's just too rough and there's lots of nasty dips and crevices on the field. Let's not even talk about the trees.
I'd consider taking a tailwheel aircraft in, but I can understand why they are reluctant as the potential for wrecked aeroplanes and interruption to their core activity is fairly high.
By Rob L
I've flown in there several times, not on gliding or Targett business and have been made very welcome (my parents live a mile or two away).
But then I was not in an Arrow or an RV. It's a gliding site after all, so no nosewheels would be a good starting point for those thinking of flying in. No engine would be better (although I do have an engine!)

On one occasion when I couldn't land at my chosen farmers field below the Cotswold ridge due to a crosswind (but in perfect VFR), I called Nympsfield launch and asked if it would be alright to land there instead, and was made welcome ....they initially refused to take my landing fee as it was a "diversion". It took me some time to persuade them to take the money (and explain what a "weather diversion" is). [but the Strasser scheme is alive and well!]

Rob
kanga liked this
Only a few weeks ago Mrs WF and I became members of the Bristol & Gloucestershire Gliding Club which operate at Nympsfield. We joined because, as Rob says, they are a really friendly bunch of flying enthusiasts. :D

We were roped in on the tail end of the complete café refurbishment which is now operated by full time staff employed by the club. It currently opens 9-4 every day and serves good food. Might be a bit up market for some of you. Tea is served in teapots with cups and saucers :wink: and they have a mean display of cakes and sponges.

I didn't realise how busy they are but subject to weather they are launching with the winch and/or the Pawnee every day and to sit outside at the picnic tables watching the activity is a really good way to spend a few hours.

You'll need wheels to get there but well worth a visit. :thumright:
kanga liked this
By kanga
Waveflyer wrote:..complete café refurbishment which is now operated by full time staff employed by the club. It currently opens 9-4 every day and serves good food. Might be a bit up market for some of you. Tea is served in teapots with cups and saucers :wink: and they have a mean display of cakes and sponges. .. to sit outside at the picnic tables watching the activity is a really good way to spend a few hours.

You'll need wheels to get there but well worth a visit. :thumright:

:thumright:

let's hope it brings in the non-flying public. As with The Aviator at Staverton (and, on a less ambitious gastronomic scale, the JAM cafe :) ), this can yield not only revenue but a local residue of goodwill towards the airfield. This can be important when 'anti's (sometimes prompted by misleading stories from developers, sometimes echoed unresearched by lazy journos) start agitating.