Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By BirdsEyeView
Should have been a knighthood or an OBE at the least. But this is in a political age when some want to forget WWII ever happened and increasingly more don't even know what WWII was ever about.

How sad history becomes re-written very quickly. Thank you Mr Johnson for your heroic contribution of the time.
Peter Mundy, Jetblu, Cessna57 and 3 others liked this
By BirdsEyeView
Waveflyer wrote:Crew a bomber through blood, **** and bullets risking everything for the benefit of your country, MBE

Par with lollipop crossing operatives in London boroughs with 20 years' service.
By Jetblu
Waveflyer wrote:Drive a car well, knighthood.
Ride a bike well, knighthood.
Row a boat well, knighthood.
Crew a bomber through blood, **** and bullets risking everything for the benefit of your country, MBE.
Funny old world.

......but, he didn't make much money for HMRC, did he.
By Rob L
...and why has it taken so long for this recognition? I do believe he quite rightly received the DFM , and if I were him, I'd treat the DFM as a greater honour.

As a supporter of previously poorly-recognised or unappreciated bomber crews, I says: this MBE is well deserved but much too late.

Cynical me says it is because he is the last, and therefore all the others in Operation Chastise should really receive the same award posthumously.

Next weekend, a 97-year-old former Burma Spitfire pilot will take me flying to Gloucester for Project Propeller; I hope to see many more vets there.

Rob
By CloudHound
At this point I'd like to recognise John Nichol and Carol Vorderman who have both publicised JJs disservice at the hands of the establishment and in some way have contributed to the weight of opinion in favour of this honour.
matspart3 liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
The MBE was awarded for services to remembrance, and yes he received a well deserved DFM during the war.

I suspect that Sqn.Ldr Johnson himself would be the first to say that he is one of millions who served well and bravely and hundreds on the squadron who did tough jobs. All were honoured at the time with military medals , and appropriately so.

So yes - it is to some extent a survivors medal, although also a thank you for many years of post war service to his local community as a teacher and councillor. And quite right too.

G
By Thumper
BirdsEyeView wrote:Should have been a knighthood or an OBE at the least. But this is in a political age when some want to forget WWII ever happened and increasingly more don't even know what WWII was ever about.

How sad history becomes re-written very quickly. Thank you Mr Johnson for your heroic contribution of the time.

- about time he was honoured. True legend.

- wholly disagree some want to forget WW2 ever happened. I've never come across this.
kanga, Ben K liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
He got a DFM, he has also campaigned for a campaign medal for bomber command (so far unsuccessfully) I think his MBE was for post war activities in fund raising, promoting remembrance and community work.
By Sooty25
Thumper wrote:
- wholly disagree some want to forget WW2 ever happened. I've never come across this.

Corbyn?