Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rf3flyer
Do we presume these were Rotax? I cannot tell the a/c type from the one photograph though it looks microlight-ish so I assume 912s. Makes me glad mine is not a Rotax.
I'd be devastated if that happened to mine, and I'm talking about the rape of the aeroplane here. Is there no way to stop this or do we have to move in to our man caves with a shotgun?
By ChrisRowland
The plane in the picture looked like a Eurostar to me. It seemed to be a neat removal, everything forward of the firewall.

I guess that what happens is that these engines go through several hands and by the time that they emerge they appear to be kosher, at least for normal operation. I haven't heard of any of these stolen engines turning up. Maybe they are turned into parts.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
...or do we have to move in to our man caves with a shotgun?

Well, as a concept, it does actually work!! At the moment, the Police will only aim for their prescriptive 'crime goal' of dishing out a URN so the insurance can be claimed, and then they'll retire to their nearest motorway service station for a skinny latté and a slice of caramel shortbread.

The sooner G-INFO is shut down, the better. It's not helping anything or anyone. Except for spotters and thieves.
T67M liked this
By hatzflyer
Does anyone know if this problem exists in other countries ?
It also seems to me that Rotax stand to make a few bob out of this supplying replacement engines . It would be nice if they came up with some help.
By gfry
In my mind hangar security needs to be increased. People are paying a few grand a year to keep their pride and joy in a glorified shed. They should at least be some for of security beyond a cheapo pad lock, things like CCTV, an alarm, better more fortified perimeter gates..... or maybe all of those measures.
cockney steve liked this
By Cessna57
I think if I owned an aircraft with a 912 I'd have gone totally "code red" by now.

GPS trackers now cost < £100

I'd be working out a way to hide one that I could do AFTER flying.
They are small.

I'd be putting some of those "wildlife" cameras in.

Lots of other stuff that I'm not posting on an open forum, as these thieves read this forum to see what's being done about it.

They keep reading "nothing much"

Can you engrave engines ?
or even just etch them like we used to etch bicycles?
By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Knowing that an engine is now in Romania doesn't get it back, though, does it? Does anyone know what happened to the ones discovered en-route that were found in Italy?

I understand that Rotax were offered a system of part numbering so at least individual components were traceable, but declined. I'm hazy on this, but someone here will be able to correct me.