Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Watching and listening to the various media reports its sounds as though Manston is high on the list for use as a lorry park to help deal with anticipated B****t related problems. I don't know if that's allowable under whatever planning consents currently exist but I'm sure we'd see some pretty quick planning approvals if they were to be needed.
(said without expressing any view on the B****t question itself)
By ChampChump
Locals with ears closer to the ground than mine seem more positive. I'll wait until they paint out the 3,000 lorry spaces though, before cheering.
By ChampChump
3,000 spaces painted there, never used. 150 lorries due on Monday, creating local mayhem/pollution, no doubt chased by the media. Techy people here will correct me, I'm sure, but I would have thought a decent traffic management system could model this without the need to pay people to drive needlessly.
By Jonzarno
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:It would be interesting to see what the pricely sum is the owners get paid for giving access and use of the airport.

Landing fee & parking for a 32 tonne Single Engine Piston? :roll: :D
By DarrenL
Seems slightly ridiculous to mark out bays on the runway. I'd have thought professional truck drivers would be able to park reasonable sensibly if required. I suppose the £2b fund needs spending somehow though... :roll:
By PeteSpencer
Practice taking place right now with 150 trucks at rush hour joining traffic from Manston to drive to Dover to try and judge effect on traffic .

To be repeated at 11.00 as reported by BBC Breakfast

Peter
By chevvron
PeteSpencer wrote:Practice taking place right now with 150 trucks at rush hour joining traffic from Manston to drive to Dover to try and judge effect on traffic .

To be repeated at 11.00 as reported by BBC Breakfast

Peter

Mixing in with traffic to/from Ramsgate ferry port?
By ChampChump
Big non-event. 89 trucks isn't even a ferry full.

They were sent off one at a time, too. We passed numbers 64 & 65 on the way to the airfield where the route intersected theirs. The local Air Search were about, but reported little of note.

I suspect the only congestion came from the meedja.
By cockney steve
It may well work in the depths of (non snowy or icy) winter with regular commuter traffic, but just wait for the hordes of summer grockles and add in those used to driving on the right!