Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By oakworth
pullup wrote:
pullup wrote:
pullup wrote:I’m afraid I agree with the previous poster....

Can anyone name any airport/ airfield that has been re-opened after a long closure?

Im afraid this is another Plymouth/Panshangar.

Colitishall and Doncaster. Both ex military surplus airfields, so not what I was asking.

Is Bedford open as a GA airfield? I cannot find anything on it.

Manston is also ex military. But if that’s not acceptable, how about Blackpool?
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
pullup wrote:I’m afraid I agree with the previous poster....

Can anyone name any airport/ airfield that has been re-opened after a long closure?

Im afraid this is another Plymouth/Panshangar.

Our airstrip was a very busy military airfield 1942-6 and was reopened in 1970 after a long closure.

It has been going strong (and still is) ever since.

Peter :lol: :wink:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By pullup
The point I am trying to get over (obviously not very well!) is that when civil owned airports/airfields close they rarely if ever get re-opened.

I am talking about civil owned airports/airfields and tried to choose the words carefully. I’m not referring to ex military bases that have closed and then become available as civil airports.

We have lost so many of these private civil airfields over the last 30 odd years, especially in the South East, so that now every one remaining is of vital importance. Companies have closed many of the larger ones for business reasons and they are lost for good.

A lot of the smaller ones are owned by passionate aviation enthusiasts and the temptation to make better money from yet another housing or industrial development must be overwhelming for them at times.

We should be grateful that they continue to allow their sites to be operated as airfields.

When these sites go they are usually gone for ever.
By Pilot Pete
pullup wrote:The point I am trying to get over (obviously not very well!) is that when civil owned airports/airfields close they rarely if ever get re-opened.

I am talking about civil owned airports/airfields and tried to choose the words carefully. I’m not referring to ex military bases that have closed and then become available as civil airports.

We have lost so many of these private civil airfields over the last 30 odd years, especially in the South East, so that now every one remaining is of vital importance. Companies have closed many of the larger ones for business reasons and they are lost for good.

A lot of the smaller ones are owned by passionate aviation enthusiasts and the temptation to make better money from yet another housing or industrial development must be overwhelming for them at times.

We should be grateful that they continue to allow their sites to be operated as airfields.

When these sites go they are usually gone for ever.

Your points are valid and pretty much factually correct.
It was just a little harshly delivered and a slightly pessimistic, to those of us clinging to a glimmer of optimism that we may get a destination back. :thumright: