Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By chevvron
ChampChump wrote:Riveroak is very serious, buying up land surrounding the airfield too.

Yeah like the american airfield development company which bought part of Fairoaks saying they were going to improve the airport facilities.
We all know what they've done. Wonder if any of the 'Riveroak' board members are on the board of TEREF ADP Fairoaks Ltd?
shortwing liked this
By shortwing
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Google and look at the team behind Riveroak Strategic Partners, particularly some of the key names. One of them has more than a chequered history of misconduct, dishonesty, and fraud
By Bobcro
The real value of an airport is the value of the land for residential or industrial use. This far outweighs actual aircraft operations unless there are a substantial number of passenger movements.
By avtur3
shortwing wrote:I wish other parties success but a daytime only freight hub? Yeah ok I remain to be convinced

There is a very successful freight operation at EMA (probably the busiest in the UK), it totally dominates the night time operating hours and compliments the day time bucket and spade passenger flights. The precision of the night time operation has to be seen to be believed.

Night time air ops certainly fits with day time road op's and enables the likes of UPS and DHL to offer good service to their customers.
By chevvron
avtur3 wrote:
shortwing wrote:I wish other parties success but a daytime only freight hub? Yeah ok I remain to be convinced

There is a very successful freight operation at EMA (probably the busiest in the UK), it totally dominates the night time operating hours and compliments the day time bucket and spade passenger flights. The precision of the night time operation has to be seen to be believed.

Night time air ops certainly fits with day time road op's and enables the likes of UPS and DHL to offer good service to their customers.

I think it was UPS who originally planned to use Bedford (Thurleigh) for night time freight ops after MOD flying moved out but suitable terms couldn't be agreed hence they went to EMA instead.
By ChampChump
UKIP's support has diminished greatly over time, to put it politely.

The current position is here:
http://www.supportmanstonairport.org/campaign-overview/

What is going on beyond the internet will no doubt be known in time. Latest on the local rumour mill is that Manston's future as a freight hub is looking more likely, with the benefits of releasing slots at Heathrow and Gatwick and space for TG to return.
By Hawkwind
There are very few freight only flights at Gatwick or Heathrow, the vast majority of tonnage is in belly-hold containers on passenger flights.
The airports that do have many freight only flights mainly have them in the evening and overnight, when there is also spare runway capacity aplenty. I can't see any business case to re-open Manston on this basis.
By The Mauler 2
If Manston re-opened with a good passenger terminal and link to the high speed rail service into London there would be far less need to put another runway into Gatwick and Heathrow if services into Europe were encouraged, and links to places like EMA, Manchester and Humberside were encouraged.
rml133 liked this
By chevvron
Is Ms Gloag still officially the owner of Manston 'cos I understand her lucrative South West Trains franchise for many trains operating out of Waterloo has been awarded to another company so that will leave a massive hole in her profits. :twisted:
By kanga
More detail on 'heritage runway'( only) plans published, or at least publicised. Houses almost up to runway edge..

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-kent-42045390

Of course, site may be needed again for lorry parking after 2019 ... :roll:
johnm liked this