Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Notwithstanding its widespread adoption, publication on Skydemon is not a prerequisite for the introduction of an airspace change.

I agree. But it wasn't on the half million either. Hence my point that it was inadequately publicised to be a real trial.

I’m surprised at your contention that pilots/aircrew that don’t effectively check NOTAMs for relevant information with respect to the safe operation of their flight is an acceptable way to operate.

Nowhere did I contend that it was acceptable. But if you want to look at the world as it is, rather than how we would like it to be, you might discover that this happens. Add to this the rather poor NOTAM system and you can see the problem.

Not being an LSA licensed ATCO, but cognisant of the traffic flows and routings in the area (especially the potential for procedural conflictions for releases against LCY departures), I challenge your contention:

Not my contention. FASVIG's contention. And they looked quite hard into it.

Once again, the debate dissolves into the fallacious argument that Class D CAS is a ‘no go’ zone to GA aircraft. It’s not.

I come at this from a gliding perspective. And class D is pretty much no go to gliders, especially without transponders, as most of them are. Whether you like it or not, the effect of class D is that gliders largely go elsewhere, for good reason. And we have good data to demonstrate this. For the rest of GA, less so, but still a good number of GA pilots route around rather than ask for a clearance which might be refused. All this creates choke points, and increased risk.

Obviously, Exeter are attempting to improve safety standards - which they have an obligation to pursue - for the operation for which they are responsible.

Yes, I understand this. And therein lies my point about and RMZ being an improvement, and the response to...
Therefore, an (expensive) D check on an aircraft doesn’t need to be done at the time specified in the regulations because we all know that there is large safety factor built into the system and “I can get MOST of the safety benefit by unilaterally increasing the TBO until I see fit…..”
Additionally, I’m intrigued at the concept of ‘some IFR approaches are more equal than others.’

It's about risk.

Clearly it's an acceptable risk for CAT to fly in Class G, and for IFR traffic to be OCAS. Otherwise we wouldn't let it happen. But there are ways of reducing risk that don't involve going to an extreme (particularly when that extreme increases risk elsewhere). I'll give you a couple of examples.

I don't buy your D check analogy. It's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the maintenance regime that you would use for a 747 is not the same as you'd use for a Turbulent. EASA went too far towards the first idea and are now (fortunately) backing away from it. Similarly in medical standards. And in pilot licensing.

The high regulatory standards built into equipment in certified aircraft mustn't be eroded, by your argument. But they are costly, and when portable navigation equipment (moving map) came on the scene (which didn't need certification, and so were low cost), GA controlled flight into terrain accidents in the US reduced dramatically. The regulation had been costing lives, not saving them.

And similarly in the Exeter case. Risk isn't a black and white thing.

You can improve the situation by, for example a RMZ. You'd know more about the traffic. Sure, if you lose the radar the workload is higher, but you can still find out where any other traffic is, and decide whether to make the approach, or wait till it's clear, or ask them to move. Presumably, if you keep your radar well maintained, this won't happen very often.

Similarly, you don't need large blocks of airspace to allow every type of aircraft to do every sort of approach. Perhaps you take the view that at a minor regional airport if you want an approach that's in protected airspace you do one specific one - maybe a GPS one, or a DME arc from out at sea.

But actually most of the Exeter document isn't about risk. It's about improving efficiencies. And (rather like the Farnborough example) it's about improving the efficiency of their traffic, whilst causing problems to others.

And my point about MATZs was to suggest a MATZ sized piece of CAS as a possibility. Just as an example.
That would certainly protect the final approach track. So let's do a bit of airspace design. Let's have that MATZ (it's pretty much their CTR, plus the stub to the east and an equivalent to the west. And let's leave them the entry to the airway to the south. So now they can get everything in and out of the airways in CAS, but they lose all the proposed airspace to the north. I still don't like it, but it's better.

And don't knock the idea. I know that the controllers in the regional airport close to where I fly would like something of that size if they were to have CAS (which fortunately they don't because of the next point). My gliding club have implemented what we call a Radio Advisory Zone of about that size with them - so they get a call when one of our gliders goes in. Works well, makes their life much easier. I think it also helps that almost all of our cross country gliders carry Flarm and they can (unofficially) see that.

Bottom line - we don't need to design airspace at a small regional airport as if it had the traffic flows of Gatwick or Heathrow. And that's what we're doing.

Paul
ChrisRowland, rohmer liked this
By jasoncuk
I don't really blame the airports for this situation. The UK should have a comprehensive low level radar service OCAS. And spotty LARS certainly is not it. With that, some of these measures won't be necessary.

Many people would happily choose to talk to such a service and that would allow coordination. Without it it is like the Wild West outside CAS and airports and CAT operators worry about it. They probably worry too much, but as has been said it will only take one accident.
Full Metal Jackass liked this
By kanga
Presumably, Exeter's traffic projections will be based in part on Flybe's, which may have been optimistic

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/201 ... lent-year/

.. but Class D enlargement would never be granted on the basis of unrealistic traffic forecasts. Would it ? :roll:
gasman liked this
By A le Ron
Refused a Bristol zone transit again today. Although interestingly they did allow a glider in a few minutes later.
By Rob P
kanga wrote:

.. but Class D enlargement would never be granted on the basis of unrealistic traffic forecasts. Would it ? :roll:

I think there may have been a case a couple of years back but I simply can't call it to mind :lol:

It's hugely irritating that there appears to be no sanction imposed on those who submit blatantly fantastic growth projections to support their case. The reduction of the ceiling of Tumbleweed's zone was a small step in the right direction, but nothing more than that.

Rob P
By kanga
Ben K wrote:Yeah, cos it could never be about, y'know, safety :roll:

it could be about the understandable and laudable aim of achieving high levels of safety with minimum procedural delay for CAT and other IFR traffic, operational and training, without the expense in equipment and staff to provide comparable safety to light GA in their vicinity, by keeping the latter further away from that vicinity. So safety for some .. :roll:
By CloudHound
I think the answer to sizing all airspace boundaries is contained in two acronyms -

PBN, and
    RNP

Together, performance based navigation and required navigation performance will deliver assured track keeping for approach and departure of participating a/c.

At the moment, I look at the Radar Manoeuvring Area charts which seem to define the extent of controlled airspace associated with a particular airport. I guess these volumes of airspace have been established in the past based on radar performance and the a/c ability to follow prescribed trajectories. It's interesting to think that radar controllers take wind strength and direction into account when issuing a vector.

Should RNAV(GNSS) instrument approach and departure procedures be notified at Exeter (and elsewhere for that matter) that assure improved levels of track keeping the volume of controlled airspace to protect these routes should be tailored in accordance with PANS OPS Doc 8168 or other guidance.
By Ben K
kanga wrote:
Ben K wrote:Yeah, cos it could never be about, y'know, safety :roll:

it could be about the understandable and laudable aim of achieving high levels of safety with minimum procedural delay for CAT and other IFR traffic, operational and training, without the expense in equipment and staff to provide comparable safety to light GA in their vicinity, by keeping the latter further away from that vicinity. So safety for some .. :roll:

-How is applying seperation from CAT to light GA at a airport with IAPs OCAS improving safety for only the CAT and not the light GA?

-There is at least one formal mechanism for reporting lack of access to CAS, which i believe has already been mentioned on this thread.

-Exeter is a busy airport- Boeings, Dashes, King Airs, Lear Jets, a plethora of GA training and various visitors. As someone who flies from there, quite frankly I'm glad it's getting more than an ATZ. I really don't think access will be a problem; even if it does impact on some transits, I believe this outweighs the dangers of people blindly flying through the IAPs and not talking to anyone.

-Using childish names such as "Tumbleweed international" etc etc doesn't help.

-I have never, ever found Exeter Radar, or any other agency providing CAS transits to be anything less than helpful. And I'm talking about flying privately and commercial. I don't believe it's all part of some conspiracy to deny GA from flying around the South West.
By peter272
Exeter is a busy airport- Boeings, Dashes, King Airs, Lear Jets, a plethora of GA training and various visitors

I'd never call Exeter busy. I was flying around there yesterday and there were very few movements at all.

It is true it needs more than an ATZ, but I do question the extent of the Class D as planned. And I certainly question the future growth in movements as laid down in the document.
kanga liked this
By Ben K
According to the CAA's figures, last July Exeter had a total of 4222 movments.

That's busier than Belfast City, Bournemouth, Norwich, Cardiff, Isle of Man, Southend, Doncaster... All of which have controlled airspace.
By peter272
Perhaps that is a function of the CAA granting CAS to airfields on the basis of wrong forecasts of movements. (See numerous threads on this)

As I said, I believe Exeter does need more than the ATZ, but there is a debate to be had about the extent of it