Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Does anyone have info on using Strasbourg airport as a refuelling / feeding stop enroute to Italy?
e.g.:
landing / handling fee costs?
Avgas cost?
Speed of transit / how much faffing around?
On site restaurant ?

Thanks in anticipation
By GrahamB
Lefty - there is a lot of useful information on the PPL/IR airfield info section.

There has been an NOTAM for some time regarding compulsory handling for non-based aircraft. This expired originally in February, but now seems to extend to 30th May.

I went there three years ago for an overnight stop; it was intra-schengen, so can't comment about customs. I had to book PPR via the GA centre, and the fuel truck came reasonably quickly, although I understand that this may not always be the case. We walked the half mile to the railway station which serves the main terminal (you can short-cut it through a lorry loading depot) for the (cheap) train into town. The GA centre is not much more than a white hut with a desk and door, you'd have to go the main terminal for food.

We arrived IFR, and departed VFR to the east which was very straightforward, but if it's a splash, dash and sandwich you are after, and don't need customs there are probably better places to go - there is a GA /gliding grass field closer to the town centre which might be worth investigating.
Last edited by GrahamB on Mon May 29, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Lefty
GrahamB wrote:Lefty - there is a lot of useful information on the PPL/IR airfield info section.

There has been an NOTAM for some time regarding compulsory handling for non-based aircraft. This expired originally in February, but now seems to extend to 30th May.

I went there three years ago for an overnight stop; it was intra-schengen, so can't comment about customs. I had to book PPR via the GA centre, and the fuel truck came reasonably quickly, although I understand that this may not always be the case. We walked the half mile to the railway station which serves the main terminal (you can short-cut it through a lorry loading depot) for the (cheap) train into town.

We arrived IFR, and departed VFR to the east which was very straightforward.

Thanks Graham - would you recommend it as a stopping point or not?

will check out PPL/IR (Hadn't thought of that resource :pale: )
By Awful Charlie
Strasbourg will work, file all the required notice in advance, turn up, get processed, p off. Not outrageously expensive from memory.

If you only need customs, fuel and a bite to eat, then consider Colmar just a few minutes further on - pnr for Customs is a bit more in advance, but everything is a bit nearer and quicker
By 2Donkeys
I've just come back from a weekend trip to Bergamo. We did Cambridge Annecy (LFLP) where fuel and customs are very straightforward. From there we routed VFR down past Sion and through the Alps via the Simplon pass (following the GAFOR routes).

From the Italian side of the Simplon, Venice is a very easy short hop. You could do worse.

On the return leg, we did Bergamo to Dole (LFGJ) for customs and fuel, and then direct back to Cambridge.
By Derryn
We did Strasbourg over Easter as an overnight en-route to Venice. There was no handling for private light aircraft provided you arrive prior to 10pm local (after 10pm you're looking at Euro 450 for handling and night surcharge!)

The total bill for landing and overnight parking on the apron was 46 euro (32+VAT for landing, 6+VAT for overnight parking, less than 1 tonne). Not the cheapest compared to Calais and Rouen, but pretty decent value for a ‘proper’ airport with immigration and lighting and a good half-way point to Italy and Germany, especially when you consider the lighting is free of charge. If you don’t need the lighting and just need to use it as a fuel stop, then other options may be cheaper. Fuel price was fairly standard – around 2 euro/L – Just make sure you request it as early as possible as they will always prioritise commercial jet traffic. We got lucky with the fuel arriving immediately, but I’ve heard of others waiting quite a long time.

The two GA people I spoke to via sxb.executive@aviapartner.aero (Francis and Marie-Paule) were very helpful, both over email and in-person, so just email them with your details beforehand to confirm anything you need. You can't pay fees at the airport and instead they will want to post you an invoice - Let them know your address details via email beforehand to save some ramp time. The Strasbourg airport site has the full list of charges etc

If you're going in to town (it's very pretty, so we can totally recommend it), it's about a 10-15 min walk out the gate up to the main terminal where there's a train and taxi rank (train is cheap and quick, but a taxi will cost you more than your landing fee each way – We had to get a taxi to town as we arrived late night, but on the way back we opted for a train to the airport then a 5 euro taxi from the terminal down to GA). Process for getting airside can be a little confusing, particularly if your French is rusty: You go into the GA building and if unattended you press the buzzer on the door. To the left of the door there’s a little shelf with a video camera above it – Put you pilot’s licence on that shelf for them to read and they’ll buzz you airside.
Pete L liked this
By Geraint Pinches
I'd second Colmar (admittedly, I haven't been to Strasbourg). Colmar was very easy to get in and out. It has customs on notice. You just need to email them using the email in the AIP the day before (or the Friday before if you're arriving at the weekend). We flew to Colmar direct from the UK. Landing fee was so cheap I can't even remember what it was, no handling required, and self service fuel at pumps.