Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In the long established forum tradition of having a side line that doesn't answer the question asked:
How about the Channel Islands?
(Also, I am a big Bruges fan, and Ostend has very easy public transport as already noted)
Liam548 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Lefty wrote:It is true that most of the French airfields with Customs are some way out of town - requiring a taxi ride - of the order of 25-35 Euro each way. Which is way cheaper than the E70 per night you are likely to pay in a hotel.

When I was at Cherbourg last year, it was the best part of 50 euros into town, and the best part of 40 euros back to the airfield. So about 90 euros. And that was more than I paid for the hotel.

Even with your own figures (presumably for a different airfield :D ), 35 euros each way doesn't make it way cheaper than a 70 euro hotel! ;-)
PaulB wrote:Gee thanks.... :-) I was really asking for practical advice, like where the bus stop (it looks like bus to Ostend than train to Bruges) is related to where you may be asked to park etc.

Oostende is a medium-sized airfield with a few CAT flights per day. Expect customs etc.

Bus from outside the terminal runs IIRC every 15 mins to the train station (takes about 15 mins) where there are 3 trains an hour to Bruges, approx, 25 mins. I think the bus is around EUR3, and the train EUR7, can't remember for sure but it didn't break the bank.

The bus stop is pretty much outside the terminal. GA apron is a way away from the terminal, but you get a minibus to the terminal as part of the landing fee.

On departure you will need to go through the same security checks as CAT passengers. Leave your penknife in the a/c. Although there is a bit of wiggle room for GA - on one occasion, when we were passing through security at the same time as a CAT flight, the security guards were arguing with one of the pax about the 100ml fluid rule, then my friends each put 4 bottles of Belgian beer on the conveyor. After a puzzled look, they let it through anyway, probably too much trouble :)
PaulB liked this
By G MacDonald
I spent the day on the in the sun beach with family last Friday at Ostend ( my 4 year old still got sunburn despite lots of sun cream!) Lovely place, great harbour with lots of eating options. However the Ostend airport landing and parking fees came to 91 euros for my plane being there a total of 8 hours and 15 minutes.
Lefty wrote:
It is true that most of the French airfields with Customs are some way out of town - requiring a taxi ride - of the order of 25-35 Euro each way. Which is way cheaper than the E70 per night you are likely to pay in a hotel.

We're back to the old answer as to why it is so convenient/economic to have folding bikes in the plane.
I reckon I have saved hundreds €'s that way.
Hi Liam

I'd also recommend Dinard, for Saint Malo. Me and two mates are flying there on Friday for an overnight out of Gamston (in an Arrow, G-AVYT). Dinard has permanent customs. We've booked a small car for 24 hours for about £35, which will probably be cheaper (or no more) than taxis there and back (about EUR 30 each way, for the 15 min drive from Dinard to Saint Malo).

If you happen to be around, then drop me a PM.
Liam548 liked this
By Irv Lee
Dinard is good. Try not to mix it with a Ryanair landing, as another forumite and I found out, we had to get our thumbs out after many years of non-use. (Loads of passengers suddenly dumped on airport = taxi queues hours long, no public transport... solution: headset in one hand, thumb up on other hand, stand outside staff car park, result was an immediate offer of a lift to St Malo)
Liam548, mmcp42 liked this
Geraint Pinches wrote:Hi Liam

I'd also recommend Dinard, for Saint Malo. Me and two mates are flying there on Friday for an overnight out of Gamston (in an Arrow, G-AVYT). Dinard has permanent customs. We've booked a small car for 24 hours for about £35, which will probably be cheaper (or no more) than taxis there and back (about EUR 30 each way, for the 15 min drive from Dinard to Saint Malo).

If you happen to be around, then drop me a PM.

Nice one, Ill drop you a PM if we are there at the same time, AVYT also in my log book :thumleft:
I have previously recommended Dinard as a great destination for a weekend. Forget staying in St. Malo and choose to stay in Dinard instead, it is much nicer/quieter away from the hordes although it too can get busy in the high season.

However, that doesn't mean you won't see St. Malo because there's a very inexpensive water taxi that runs regularly and until late so you get to see the walled town. The water taxi drops you off right outside one of the many entrances to St. Malo.

Dinard has some lovely coastal walks and great restaurants. Our favourite is here

https://restaurant.michelin.fr/1sxsmqi2 ... uge-dinard

but there are others to choose from.

I echo how easy and (relatively) inexpensive the car hire is but a taxi shouldn't be too bad if you don't want the hassle of driving and parking. Worth arranging beforehand and we now use https://www.rentalcars.com/ which seem to find the best offers.

I'd also recommend Rennes as a customs clearance point. Customs always on site, fuel available and cheap overnight parking. Buses into the city or use it as a place to clear customs and fly on from. Very helpful, English spoken and inexpensive. Landing fees paid in the terminal at the info desk.