Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I think that most reporters are scum . Why do they take pride in outdoing each other on occasions like this ?
When I put an aircraft on it's back following an engine failure many years back I was reported as being dead , my body was seen by a reporter under a tarpaulin on the side of the road.
Blatantly untrue.
Condolences to those involved with this accident .
It was G-NDOL Europa. Not the one that ended up in the sea at Hollym.
This was one of our pilots who has been flying his monowheel for a good number of years.
At the moment the AAIB are still at the scene so we are waiting for their findings. There were two eye witnesses who are assisting the AAIB so please ignore all the Carp posted by the press.
It's a very sad time for us at Coal Aston as there are only five GA planes based there.
ChampChump wrote:..why do so many police and fire services tweet about their shouts? ...

It may save their support staff fielding a lot of journos' rumour-driven 'phone calls; it has the further advantage that basic, accurate, official information goes out speedily to all media impartially. Journos, especially local ones, these days have come to learn that that is all they will be getting for a while, so there in no point 'phoning for more. Any subsequent (ab)use of that info - and, sadly, there is often plenty - is down to the media. Often those media are actually little more than subediting houses, often uncritical, for freelancers who embellish the basic stories. So I do understand the services' using this channel; it does not follow nor is it true that what subsequently appears elsewhere is correct, or forgiveable (two separate issues, of course).
My son is a journalist and I take great exception to hatzflyer's comments. You obviously have an issue with a particular journalist who misreported your alleged death but there are many conscientious, trustworthy journalists out there. Many have lost their lives reporting in countries where so few of us would want to visit.
kanga, G-BLEW, bogopper and 1 others liked this
Having been involved in a fatal flying accident what I think you need is for it to be truthful and boring. A bald statement from the emergency services is that. For other organisations give reports that give the facts and nothing more. Try to avoid people who were actually there commenting. Clear up the debris as soon as you can, subject to the requirements of the AAIB of course.

The formal investigation isn't compromised of course and any lessons that can be learned will be.
pilotbarry wrote:You obviously have an issue with a particular journalist who misreported your alleged death but there are many conscientious, trustworthy journalists out there.

Yes. I have known two journos working for the same organisation, where

- one would print my quotes word for word, totally reliably, so that if he printed some words of mine in quotes I would know for sure that I had really actually said those exact words, and had nobody to blame but myself

- the other would twist and mangle anything I said, and even make stuff up out of thin air on days when he was feeling too lazy to pick up the phone.

Guess which one I called when I thought I had a story for their organisation. Guess which one was the first to get a job elsewhere and move on to bigger and better things :(
kanga liked this
pilotbarry wrote:My son is a journalist and I take great exception to hatzflyer's comments. You obviously have an issue with a particular journalist who misreported your alleged death but there are many conscientious, trustworthy journalists out there. Many have lost their lives reporting in countries where so few of us would want to visit.

As in all walks of life there are good and bad, I am pleased that your son is one of the good . In my experience he is in the minority. I wish more were like him .