Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
My guess is he might get 80k

The 'racing' provenance would put me off bidding. Not great marketing IMHO

Rob P
By Chris Martyr
Rob P wrote:The 'racing' provenance would put me off bidding. Not great marketing IMHO Rob P

Agree entirely Rob . Racing provenance ? Taking part in modern day handicap air-racing is not quite the stuff of 1930s Kings Cup is it . And I certainly cannot see how it would make the aeroplane more valuable.
Perhaps our friend is drawing a similar parallel to classic race cars , which have FIA papers to authenticate where and when they competed and obviously will have a massive bearing on their value.
But it's an RV-8 ! The vendor must know what it's worth . Prospective punters will know roughly what they want to pay.
So why the cloak and dagger sales technique ?
By Maxthelion
I would value this at about £75k if it's fixed pitch, or £85k if it's wobbly. It may well be worth more to the right buyer though as it looks very special.

Regarding the tandem seating being antisocial - it may well be, but it feels like you're flying a machine that is just for you. It's fighter-like and it's bloody brilliant if you happen upon another RV who also fancies a spot of mock combat. That bubble canopy gives you great vis, and you really get to appreciate the revelation it must have been to pilots in the war when the P-51 and the FW-190 came along with this feature.

As for racing provenance, the format of the King's Cup has actually changed very little since the 1930s. It's always been a handicap race and has always been a full chat race like all races generally are. If a Mew Gull or a Comper Swift is worth more because they've competed in the King's Cup, then why not an RV8? Bob's name(if he won it) is on the same trophy as Alex Henshaw's for achieving a very comparable feat, and deservedly so. If you think that running an IO-360 for 35 minutes at full throttle will wear it out then perhaps you're not in the target market anyway.
mick w, bogopper liked this
By Rob P
Having returned home to reliable WiFi I've taken a look at the images. The panel is not to my taste, the fighter-like tandem RV really does deserve a proper six-pack, but I know others disagree.

As for air racing and engines I merely rely on the opinion of two others far more knowledgeable than I, one being my LAA engineer /inspector. It certainly adds nothing to the aircraft's desirability, and as above, to me it detracts.

But it's still an RV and as such more sought after than most aircraft out there.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon May 29, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Trent772
Well, the last 8 near here sold within a week or so for between 90 and 100k, so I do hope and feel sure the OP was similarly pleased :pirat:
By chevvron
PeteSpencer wrote:Anti-social tandem layout for starters....

As an ATC cadet, the first 2 seater I flew in was not the 'normal' Chipmunk but a Piston Provost where I could watch how my instructor handled the controls etc. I never liked flying in Chipmunks after that until I checked out in the front seat of one.
By Maxthelion
Having seen the aeroplane in question up close, and having made a friend of the builder, I can say that it really is finished to a first class standard. It's a very nice aeroplane indeed and Bob deserves every penny. The new owners are very lucky indeed.
ianfallon liked this