Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I think it depends a lot on how many "tellys" the builder decided to fit :D

I'd be expecting to see prices in the 70-80K GBP range.
By PeteSpencer
ianfallon wrote:
PeteSpencer wrote:Anti-social tandem layout for starters....

That's what the intercom is for :D Is that all ?

Horses for courses: I prefer to turn to talk face to face to my pax as we zoom down the centre of France for a couple of hours... :wink:

Peter
PaulB liked this
By Ben Twings
If you were to build a similar one new; quick-build kit and professional paint, it would cost about US$100K. Add on shipping and VAT and it would be close to £100K. To that add about 1000-1200 hrs build time and loss of hangar/workshop space.
The US market is similar for RV-7 and -8 and runs from about $65k up to $130K.

There's still a sizeable market for tandem cockpits especially for sports/aerobatic types. Van's offer both options and the performance numbers are similar. I like the tandems from the flying aspect, all-round visibility and not fighting with passengers for elbow room.

As for the value of that one; markets are relatively small, fickle and adjusting to the change in exchange rate. I don't think it's the best way to sell an aircraft especially limiting the inspection window, but there is a demand for good RVs, so it remains to be seen.
By tomshep
Quote:
Horses for courses: I prefer to turn to talk face to face to my pax as we zoom down the centre of France for a couple of hours... :wink:

The only problem with that is that with the front seat turned around, you will have difficulty judging the approach.
By GolfHotel
There is someone going around offering £110K for a good 7 ATM.

Bob's 8 is a good one, although its not got a wobbly prop. I expect he will get a good price for it.
By Chris Martyr
Can't quite see why the seller is going the 'sealed bids' route.
If it was an extremely rare and valuable vintage car or aeroplane then you could understand it , but an RV-8 is not a rarity , but it is nevertheless , a very saleable item.
So surely the seller must know what he wants for his aeroplane and what the market will stand , and the massively knowledgeable RV community [of which I'm not one] will certainly know what one is worth , especially the 'repeat offenders' and I reckon that WaveFlyer's estimate is pretty much on the money !
It is slightly reminiscent of what one sees when thumbing through classic car magazines these days , cars which were complete lemons back in the 60's, 70's & 80's now going for crazy money and of course , they all come with their 'motoring heritage certificate' , not to mention that they all have "matching numbers"... [ WtF DOES that actually mean... :D ]

BTW , I'm not for a second implying that any of the excellent RV range are lemons , just querying the method of sale that's all.
Also , from my point of view , nothing wrong with tandem seating . If the crack of your rrrse is straight down the fuselages centre-line , then who needs the slip ball..?. :thumright: