Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Two years ago I wrote an article for the BMAA mag to a similar aim - everything I said still applies as far as I can see.

We can't change it by talking about it. We can't change it by waiting for our members organisations to "do something."

If getting more youth in aviation is important to you yourself then you yourself need to do stuff.

If you want to see what kind of thing - I'm at Bodmin next Saturday helping at a Scout aerocamp.

Other practical things you could do right now this week

Sign up as a STEM ambassador and let them know its aviation which is your interest.

Send a message to your local Cub pack - the Cub, level 1 air activities badge standards require little more than talking to a pilot and making a paperplane - its easy to deliver and fun.

Ask the airfield you fly from if you can show some Scouts or Cadets around - its easy, the leaders do crowd control, I have a template risk assessment you can adapt and you talk for an hour or so about why flying is awesome.

Other things...

The Schools Build a Plane Challenge projects will be at Futures Day at Farnbourough - go and talk to them, they're doing awesome stuff and have the school and curriculum links in place. And there's loads of other youth build projectsin progress too which always need helpers.

The LAA youth and Education Support branch (YES) host a yearly conference where almost everyone doing anything with youth aviation gets together to talk ab what and how and network.

Some BMAA members recently took the microlight stand to the Leisure and Outdoor show to good response - a good way of not preaching to the converted but hooking into similar interests.

Hook into airshows - why do more flying clubs not attened airshows and recruit from an already airminded audience? YES have a kids activites stand at the Shuttleworth events this year to that end - if you're attending one as a visitor come and talk about how you can help.

Moaning about Yoof Of Today And Their Smartphones does not help - you've got to hook in to that link and use it. The Air League have an existing app and are putting the finishing touches to a really cool new one with augemented reality and 360 video in a VR headset and stuff which then links onto the careers and flying stuff once you got the cool factor covered.

How's that for starters?
nallen, cockney steve, youngman1 and 2 others liked this
I remember all this and much the same when I was more active in gliding .... not much has changed.

We used to do endless air-experience flights but converted very few indeed into pilots. most who became pilots/club members were the self starter type who sought us out.
In fact there was a short period when the "club" was probably no more than an air-ex experience facility. The entire membership was just running round doing air-ex flights, which bring in the cash, to do any flying themselves!
The lack of conversion we put down simply to the gap between the 'image' of flying around as shown on the air-ex flights and the 'reality' of endless cable break practice training, check flights, equipment failures, tug pilot no-shows and the rest in your training.

Sadly if a lot of the training is necessarily going to focus on what are you going to do if the cable breaks/the engine fails you are only going to get those with a certain attitude/temperament/skills to be pilots.
I've had it myself sitting in a glider prior to launch and being questioned what will I do if x, then if y, then if z and thinking - jeez, no one will take this 'weekend sport' up with this sort of thinking.

If you want other activities/family stuff/events/outreach initiatives then you really need to own the airfield land and have sufficient mass in overheads, knowledge, people, spare aircraft and money to manage them.
So that means the survival of the big clubs, Lasham, Dunstable, Aston Down in the south for example operating on a mostly commercial basis with full time staff and the demise of the rest....leading to the punters being so far away you need to spend the entire weekend there - back to square one.

Not that the the UK weather is conducive to a pure commercial pre-book turn up and fly type operation anyway.
By seanxair
It isn't important to me. My own kids aren't remotely interested and I haven't time to be nurturing someone elses.
But it is a common theme on Microlight forums and letters pages. My only point is that it is a pity someone wasn't present at what was obviously a thought provoking evening.

leiafee wrote:If getting more youth in aviation is important to you yourself then you yourself need to do stuff...............
By leiafee
seanxair wrote:It isn't important to me.

Sometimes I really miss the lack of a plural "you" in English...

That wasn't aimed at you-singular-seanxair it was aimed at -you-the-forum-as-a-collection-of-individuals.

I'm not looking to pressgang you (all) but I am out of patience with letters pages and "someone should do something."

We're all someone.
kanga, cockney steve, johnm and 2 others liked this
By seanxair
All well and good that 'someone should do something' and if you volunteer to be that someone then that is to be admired and respected.

I'm a BMAA member and the mission statement of the BMAA from their website says:

The British Microlight Aircraft Association looks after the interests of microlight pilots and enthusiasts in the UK. It is an organisation approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Its aims are to further the sport of microlight aviation, keep flying costs down to a minimum for its members and to represent them in national and international matters relating to our sport.
My bold.

So I'm sort of hoping the organisation I am a member of is plugging away doing its bit especially via the committee members we have taken the trouble to vote for.

I may choose to be a member of a political party because I believe their mission startment but it doesn't mean I'm obliged to go out campaigning :D

leiafee wrote:
seanxair wrote:It isn't important to me.

Sometimes I really miss the lack of a plural "you" in English...

That wasn't aimed at you-singular-seanxair it was aimed at -you-the-forum-as-a-collection-of-individuals.

I'm not looking to pressgang you (all) but I am out of patience with letters pages and "someone should do something."

We're all someone.
By leiafee
Yeah but the way the BMMA aims to meet most of those aims is through enabling the volunteer efforts of their members - only a tiny fraction are paid staff and those pretty much all in airworthiness and admin.

They don't happen by themselves. Half a dozen people on a comittee aren't going to Save The Future of Microlighting on their own...

seanxair wrote:I may choose to be a member of a political party because I believe their mission startment but it doesn't mean I'm obliged to go out campaigning

It's a fair analogy. I am also a knocker of doors and a dropper of leaflets and a helper at events for my party of choice!

Money and keyboards only get us so far in any field of endeavour. Sooner or later you need people in person on the ground (or in the air) doing things.

I fear that this too will read to you as though I'm criticising you personally and I'm really not. I post it because its an attitude held by many and I think it wants challenging. You just happen to be the person framing it today. Sorry.
Difficult for me to help with Junior gliding because I hear that I'm too old. There's nothing I can do to change that.

What I can, and do, contribute is help mentoring our cadets. This needs to be a two way process, they need to accept my advice, even though I'm probably as old as their grandparents.

I have no children, nor any close young relatives, but none the less I'd like people to be able to continue to enjoy sport flying in the future.
By seanxair
Firstly it doesn't feel personal though I'm not certain you are willing to accept my opinion. To be clear:

1. I'm not interested in personally promoting or saving the future of microlighting. That isn't saying that it shouldn't be promoted by those that have time and inclination.

2. Part of the BMAA ethos is to promote it and if that is done largely by volunteer efforts, then fine. But there is a council member responsible for this area and if that is the structure then I'm hoping the person is doing their bit (can't remember if they were elected or co-opted).

3. I have volunteered to help in the past. Only in a minor capacity and didn't find it that rewarding personally.

4. I do volunteer and help at my local rugby club (despite no playing background) so not afraid to get involved if I feel strongly enough or find it rewarding, which I do.

leiafee wrote:Yeah but the way the BMMA aims to meet most of those aims is through enabling the volunteer efforts of their members - only a tiny fraction are paid staff and those pretty much all in airworthiness and admin.

They don't happen by themselves. Half a dozen people on a comittee aren't going to Save The Future of Microlighting on their own...

seanxair wrote:I may choose to be a member of a political party because I believe their mission startment but it doesn't mean I'm obliged to go out campaigning

It's a fair analogy. I am also a knocker of doors and a dropper of leaflets and a helper at events for my party of choice!

Money and keyboards only get us so far in any field of endeavour. Sooner or later you need people in person on the ground (or in the air) doing things.

I fear that this too will read to you as though I'm criticising you personally and I'm really not. I post it because its an attitude held by many and I think it wants challenging. You just happen to be the person framing it today. Sorry.
By leiafee
seanxair wrote:I'm not certain you are willing to accept my opinion.

Well I disagree with it, but it's given me an insight into the counter arguments and why volunteers are hard to get so I'll leave it there with thanks.

So who else reading the thread IS going to do something differently as a result of the ideas put forward in the talk that started it?
By seanxair
Disagreeing with it is fine :)

leiafee wrote:
seanxair wrote:I'm not certain you are willing to accept my opinion.

Well I disagree with it, but it's given me an insight into the counter arguments and why volunteers are hard to get so I'll leave it there with thanks.

So who else reading the thread IS going to do something differently as a result of the ideas put forward in the talk that started it?
By johnm
I have no interest in gliding or microlighting but would happily talk to a bunch of cubs, scouts, brownies or guides, answer their questions and show them our aeroplane and its kit, so I'll look into that.
kanga liked this