Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By EdH
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
Global5000 wrote:
I must admit I hadn't really thought about an RV8, but having looked into it some more that might be a better aircraft but it somehow doesn't have the neat little sporty lines of the Rv4.

I know tandem isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the -8 is a spacious travelling experience for pilot and passenger. I know some husband and wife couples who prefer having their own space. Pop a mirror on the rollbar, and pilot can see passenger and vice versa. Only problem is, you might struggle to find an RV-8 to suit your budget. The RV-4, with its cheek-cowl is the best looking of all… well except maybe an RV-3.

One other aircraft that would need double the budget was the F1 Evolution, which I believe is an improved Rv4, it looks terrifying and, bloody fantastic but I don't see any in the UK, is there a reason for that?

The F1 Evo isn't LAA approved. You could have a Harmon Rocket II though, and those occasionally come up for sale in the U.S. Though you'd have to ensure it was built in accordance with the Harmon/Van's plans.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you want to try a 7 you are welcome to a flight in ours at Barton - a Speyside if you do :thumleft:
By GolfHotel
Global5000 wrote:pilotbarry,

Anyone kind enough to show me an aircraft gets a bottle

If we went flying, two!

We're are you?

I'm always happy to take people up for a ride. I have an 7 with 200 wobbly horses and always need an excuse to fly. :D
By hatzflyer
Dave W wrote:
hatzflyer wrote:After 9 years in a 4 every time I fly a 6 I feel the view out the front is like looking through a letter box ! :D

Is that because it's a slider rather than a tipup?[/quote

It's just that you sit lower in the six with the stick in your gut, especially if you are pulling up elevator. The view to the left isn't bad but quite a lot of wing in the way and the view out right is obscured for quite some distance.
Front seat in a 4 is perfection. Left hand rests on the throttle and and right elbow rests on your knee and your hand is at grip height on the stick. Vis each side is superb and dipping a wing ( mere flex of the wrist ) reveals all below.
The roll axis is smack on the bridge of your nose , the pitch axis smack on your private parts.
I have owned over 100 aircraft and never kept one for a year up until I bought my first RV4. The day I sold it I regretted it immediately ,it took me a year to buy another one and now have a total of 9 years in one. In my mind it is the perfect aircraft for me.

Other aircraft are available. :D
pilotbarry, MercianMarcus, mick w and 3 others liked this
By ianfallon
Global5000 wrote:pilotbarry,

Anyone kind enough to show me an aircraft gets a bottle

If we went flying, two!

As I said, come to Hinton and try the 4 !!
Last edited by ianfallon on Fri May 26, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ianfallon
Range ?

Well endurance-wise I think you can count on 3hrs at 130-140 kts if you have the IO-320 with 150hp.
By Charliesixtysix
Global5000 wrote:Thank you pilotboy, I will try and send him/her a PM!

No need for a PM, I'm watching this from the French Alps where are having huge fun throwing ZD into mountain strips this week ( feels more like chucking a dart at treble 20 rather than a landing at the steeper ones :shock: ) .

The just shy of 600nm trip down was done in two stages ( for comfort rather than need) and took a smidge over 4 hrs. :thumleft:

We planning to be back home on Monday, so feel free to get in touch anytime after that if you fancy a look and possibly a trip in a '7?
Contact details under Rectory Farm in SD or any of the flight guides.

C66
pilotbarry, bogopper, mick w liked this
By hatzflyer
Range?...well I can only say it ranges if you'll excuse the pun.
The 4 has a huge speed range and that makes a single figure impossible to quote.
Firstly it depends on what engine is fitted. Second it depends how you fly.
I often fly with a friend in formation with his Jodel ( YouTube..Jodel Flyer ) at that speed of around 100 knts indicated I am at about 1650 rpm and leaned. If I am in a headwind of say 18 knts my fuel burn is very low but my progress is slow at approx 80 knts.

On my own and bimbling I fly faster than that because it's more comfortable, let's say 125/130 knts economic cruise. The headwind then has less overall effect but as a tailwind I am now going places !
Ok so now if I really open it up I can cruise at VNE quite easily in mine and that enables me to punch into a hefty head wind ( less time getting somewhere equals more range in terms of more gph for less time ).
However if I pick up a tailwind I have seen groundspeeds in excess of 250 mph. Ok high fuel burn but getting places much quicker effectively giving greater range.
I have a 3 blade Cartoon cruise pitch on my 4 it will exceed VNE in level flight. (I thoroughly recommend this prop.)

So you see the range varies far more than you average LAA type and you can get extra fuel tankage relatively easy. Two types of bolt on tanks are available that don't require any modifications to the wing. One system is a clever idea it is effectively a long tube that slides into the holes in the wing ribs and the other type replaces the wing tips. Common in the USA but I don't know of any in the UK however it shouldn't be much fuss getting a mod approved over here based on the record" over there ". :D
By User72
For £50K you are probably limited to a 4 or 6, 4s are usually a little less expensive than 6s. Either will put a huge smile on your face. Good ones don't come up for sale very often. See rvuk.co.uk for info.
By Global5000
Thank you all for your kind offers!

Foxmouth,

Thank you, if I can make it down to Barton I will certainly be in touch, with a good Speyside. I will be based in Whiskey country actually when I'm back, near Aberdeen so its not ideal for coming to visit you all on a short stay sadly but I am trying to figure something out.

Perhaps we could have an impromptu fly in somewhere and I will provide the Whiskey! Scone airfield is a cracking wee place but sadly pretty far away for you all. I shall have to try and come down.

Golf Hotel,

A lovely offer and would be delighted to join you, trying to work out how to make a short dash down south when I am back, mid august at present.

Hatzflyer,

Thank you for all your info. very much appreciated.The 4 does sound like the flying machine I need, I just need to be sure the Mrs can enjoy it to ( Im pretty are she will! )

I looked on line and saw one or two in the UK for sale for around 50k.

I won't be home in the UK for a few years yet, so I am wondering about buying now and storing/having it flown and loved on my behalf so its already when I come back. If indeed they are so difficult to get, maybe if a very nice example came up, I should buy as soon as possible, values stay largely the same?

I do like the sound of a 250 mph GS in a tail wind. would you all be kind enough to share your registrations with me so I can google image the aircraft?

Charlie66,

Sounds like your having fun! 600 nm in 4 hours is making the touring option look very capable, I will look up your details and see where you are. I would love to pop down Monday but sadly I am on the other side of the world in a place with zero GA, quite depressing but needs must at the moment.

ianfallon,

Thank you, will keep you posted if I can get the time to come down in August.