Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Global5000
Hi Flythrough,

Thank you for the pictures. I have to say its a lovely looking aircraft.

Do you think it might be back in Strathaven by late August? Perhaps I could come down for a look and bring the Mrs.

Regards,

G5000
By Ben Twings
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flythrough wrote:Here it before it was imported:

http://n4306u.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/va ... -prop.html

That was my old (2nd) RV-4 that I had while working in L.A.. I didn't realise the sale web-site was still alive!

I did once do a 2-up trip with camping kit to Florida and back for Sun'nFun with '06U. CG was within limits as the Harzell prop and O-360 up front balanced passenger and luggage behind. Weight with that load and fuel was over 1600lb though, which was allowed in the US but above the 1550lb limit that LAA permit.

That trip meant stuffing bags of clothes inside the cockpit. It was pretty tight and we weren't talking much by the end of the trip.

I've just sold my 3rd RV-4 which was O-320 and fixed pitch. I had that for 4 years and really enjoyed it with several multi-thousand mile trips. That combination flies very nicely and is in no way underpowered, though most of my trips were flown solo, often accompanied by other friends in their RVs and Ezes.

Now getting ready for the next big adventure....
ianfallon, bogopper liked this
By a_kraut
GolfHotel wrote:Several RV's have just returned from Menorca

Is the Kent-based crew of a RV 6 or 7 that refuelled Tuesday at Lezignan LFMZ coming from Menorca and thinking about the weather in southwest France probably here on the forum?
It was nice meeting you and I hope you had a safe trip back. I flew in the MCR01.
By GolfHotel
a_kraut wrote:
GolfHotel wrote:Several RV's have just returned from Menorca

Is the Kent-based crew of a RV 6 or 7 that refuelled Tuesday at Lezignan LFMZ coming from Menorca and thinking about the weather in southwest France probably here on the forum?
It was nice meeting you and I hope you had a safe trip back. I flew in the MCR01.

Many of us did stop in Carcassonne. Some on the way out and some on the way back. I did both. There was one from Kent and I think they stopped at LFMZ as they did both ways in a day. We saw them in northern France that day leaving for Kent. We all got back safely thanks. As far as I know he's not on here.
By ianfallon
User72 wrote:Before buying an RV-4 or 6 look carefully at the empty weight and your anticipated payload.

... and then reduce you payload so you can go for it ! :D 8) :wink:
Dusty_B liked this
By Rob P
Global5000 wrote:I will be based in Whiskey country actually when I'm back, near Aberdeen

No you bloody won't. Whisky comes from Scotland, whiskey from other places.

Your wife is unlikely to be happy in the back of a 4.

You can't afford an 8 and the back is only a little better. The aircraft on the other hand is nowhere near as perfect to fly as a 4.

The 6 is a compromise, the 7 a bit more flaccid.

My advice? Find a 4, trade-in the wife.

Rob P
By GolfHotel
Rob P wrote:
Global5000 wrote:I will be based in Whiskey country actually when I'm back, near Aberdeen

No you bloody won't. Whisky comes from Scotland, whiskey from other places.

Your wife is unlikely to be happy in the back of a 4.

You can't afford an 8 and the back is only a little better. The aircraft on the other hand is nowhere near as perfect to fly as a 4.

The 6 is a compromise, the 7 a bit more flaccid.

My advice? Find a 4, trade-in the wife.

Rob P

1) Speaking from experience the wife may be short of happiness anywhere

2) would love to try a 4 one day ref the perfect handeling tales

3) I'll have you know mine is not in the least flaccid.

4) when trading in the wife beware of joyriders who ask for a test flight. They may have no intention of going ahead with the trade. Although it is possible a few joyrides may improve the wife's happiness.
Rob P, hatzflyer liked this
By Global5000
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the posts.

Just checked in here again, oh dear Rob P...

Whiskey....Whisky, I guess you don't want a bottle then.... :roll:

I will have to politely decline your advice about getting rid of the wife as well, she's a cracker :wink:

I can afford an RV8, I just don't think its value for money based on how good I hear the RV4 is and given that most of our flying will be blasting around Scotland/UK with the occasional adventure down south in the future.

Best bet is to see one in person and see what I think, she is happy for me to buy whatever I want and she's a petite wee thing so hopefully won't find the RV4 to small, if anything, I might.

Finally got leave approved so should be back in the country in the next week or so. Flythrough I shall send a PM shortly would be great to meet you and see your aircraft.

Thank you all once again for the excellent information and your time.

Best regards,

G5000
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
If she's wee then she may suit the 4.

Good luck with your search it will be a pleasure to welcome you to the band of RV owners in the UK

Rob P
RV6 G-BZXB
By Ridders
hatzflyer wrote:Front seat in a 4 is perfection. Left hand rests on the throttle and and right elbow rests on your knee and your hand is at grip height on the stick. Vis each side is superb and dipping a wing ( mere flex of the wrist ) reveals all below.
The roll axis is smack on the bridge of your nose , the pitch axis smack on your private parts.
Other aircraft are available. :D
Hatz kindly let me fly in his current 4 a few years back, the handling? Well it’s incredible and performance is impressive to say the least. Does this mean I now owe him a bottle?

We are likely looking to change aircraft in next few years and there are a few options, the 4 is certainly one on the small list we have been contemplating.

W and B when I looked at a couple of 4’s 8 years ago, it can be a challenge (certainly for Aeros and I still have a w&b spreadsheet from one I was looking at back then) but fortunately mrs ridders is featherweight luggage, so we have no problems with a 4 :D
Rob P, hatzflyer liked this
By Global5000
Thank you Rob P.

The Harmon Rocket/F1 is my dream aircraft, looks beautiful and a little bit scary.

I’m not supposed to be scared at work, but I like the idea of being a little bit scared in an F1/rocket!