Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Global5000
Good afternoon,

I am new to this forum but signed up specifically to ask for advice/tips on purchasing/running an RV type aircraft.

My day job is flying and I am looking for a fun aircraft to fly with my wife on my time off and do a little touring. The aircraft will be based in Scotland ( undecided airfield yet ) and used for trips around the UK and possibly down to Portugal.

I appreciate the RV4 is a little on the small side, but I am happy to stop for a top up every few hours and a leg stretch. I am looking for something thats fun, simple and has a reasonable turn of speed. Having never flown one, or even seen one up close I was wondering if you might indulge me in some flying stories or point me in the right direction to learn more about them?

I work abroad at the moment so I cant just pop down to an airfield sadly but I will be back in the UK in August and would be delighted if someone might allow me to have a look at an aircraft and would be kind enough to let me see an RV4 up close. A nice bottle of wine or whiskey would be the very least I could offer in return.

Any suggestions/discussion very much appreciated and I look forward to joining in with the Flyer community.

My budget is around 50k.

Kindest regards,

Global5000
ianfallon liked this
By GolfHotel
Several RV's have just returned from Menorca, Sante Luise. Get on the RV forum for advice.

My £00.02 worth. Get a side by side. You get more luggage (more usable luggage as far as the 8 goes) and its much more passenger friendly. One 8 came along but he was on his own! All the others were side by side and two up.

PS any RV will be a great choice IMHO.
mick w liked this
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Can you get anywhere near Hinton-in-the-Hedges / Turweston area ?

Very welcome to come and see ours and chew the fat. Doubly so if you bring a wee dram !!

PM me be all means with any questions
Last edited by ianfallon on Thu May 25, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By foxmoth
We have a group round a 7 and would like a 4 as a second aircraft, the biggest problem you will probably have with a 4 is finding one for sale! You could import one but that is frought with all sorts of dangers!
ianfallon liked this
By foxmoth
Side by side is better if you have a partner who is not really into flying and not sure about the 4 but certainly the 8 is not the ideal aircraft to do a tailwheel conversion on due to the poor rudder set up in the back, agreed the 4 does not have great baggage capacity but the 8 has loads so I would not go Side by side just for that, other disadvantages with a side by side are that there is no intentional spinning or flicks so that can also influence your decision.
Ideal for me would be to have a 7 and a 4, the 7 for tailwheel conversion, aeros two up and touring, the 4 for solo aeros and day trips.
bogopper, mick w liked this
By hatzflyer
After 9 years in a 4 every time I fly a 6 I feel the view out the front is like looking through a letter box ! :D
Rob L liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Yeah, but...

Global5000 wrote:I am looking for a fun aircraft to fly with my wife on my time off and do a little touring. The aircraft will be based in Scotland ( undecided airfield yet ) and used for trips around the UK and possibly down to Portugal.
By Global5000
Dear All,

Thank you for your quick replies and ideas on the aircraft and my questions.

I must admit I hadn't really thought about an RV8, but having looked into it some more that might be a better aircraft but it somehow doesn't have the neat little sporty lines of the Rv4. I may be dreaming but while I work away from the UK I dream of coming home and enjoying summer afternoons tinkering with the aircraft, polishing leading edges and the smell of freshly cut grass on the airfield/grass strip. A world away from the day job, from any job.

The Mrs loves aviation, so I am very lucky but the point about sharing the time together, without her looking at the back of my head is a good point. Can anyone here give me an idea of a realistic range in an RV4?

I will operate it like work so I would want a minimum of 45 mins final reserve plus diversion fuel on landing. Scone airfield in Scotland is a real possibility, so making a trip down south towards the East midlands for fuel and then perhaps on further south, does that sound like a fair plan?

As someone said, perhaps I need two!

One other aircraft that would need double the budget was the F1 Evolution, which I believe is an improved Rv4, it looks terrifying and, bloody fantastic but I don't see any in the UK, is there a reason for that?

Thanks again for all the pointers and I will try and make some progress with organising a visit, with the Whiskey of course!

Thanks again,

G5000