Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By robert79
Thumbs up to Barton (or City Heliport and Airport, if you must :) ). I had a business meeting at one of the International airport hotels and rather than waste 8+ hours of my life driving there and back thought it'd be more fun to travel by Arrow.
I didn't even bother enquiring about the cost of landing at the big airport, but Barton was only just down the road and fabulously good - open 8am to 8pm, café was still open after 6pm when I returned to fly home, self serve fuel and £18 to land and park all day.

The temporary taxiway is a bit lumpy and required care, but other than that I couldn't fault the place. Thanks to the team there, keep doing what you're doing :thumleft: . I have made a mental note to use pump 1 next time (those who have been will know why!). The long opening hours certainly make it a viable proposition for uses other than a £200 cup of coffee.

Manchester were very accommodating and allowed me to route direct through the zone on my way in, and I had my first trip through the low level corridor on the way home as Manchester was extremely busy at that time. The LLC turned out to be a non-event and nowhere near as dodgy as I'd imagined it might be.
By robert79
It's a pity there aren't more small airfields like this, serving a genuine utility function by dint of long opening hours and reasonable fees.

I was also impressed that they seem to make a conscious effort to attract the general public to the café, viewing area etc which must help the based schools to stay afloat by generating trial flights and the odd full PPL course, as well as opening the GA scene up to a wider public and demonstrating it's not full of stereotypical playboy millionaires in their private jets.
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
What exactly is the current and proposed situation with regard to the condition of runways and taxiways? The field had a reputation for being a bit rough in this respect?
By SteveX
Wow. Man flies into grass airfield, lands, pays fee and departs.

Seriously...'brilliant' Barton? Or any other airfield for that matter?
By Squadgy
flybymike wrote:What exactly is the current and proposed situation with regard to the condition of runways and taxiways? The field had a reputation for being a bit rough in this respect?

Currently Barton is undertaking a programme of runway regrading and improvements.

The first phase of this was completed in 2015 where Runway 26R /08L was regraded and lengthened and the drainage improved. It's now vastly smoother than in the past.

The second phase is now in progress , with regrading underway on 26L/08R, 32/14 and 02/20 as well as 'Taxiway B' (hence the temporary taxiway mentioned above).

The next phase under consideration is the application of Perfo matting to provide further improvement. :thumleft:

With regards to attracting the general public - yes, it's something Barton goes out of the way to promote - largely via social media.The cafe is very popular with families, and a new control tower themed climbing frame has been commissioned which should be up in time for the summer holidays
flybymike liked this
By gasman
I did my ppl training at Barton in 1989 and have have fond memories.

I flew in recently and was impressed by the ground works being undertaken, the refurbished cafe and the overall condition of the airfield facilities.
The many rows of based CofA aircraft that I remember are now diminished (but replaced by microlights and egg-beaters).

One note of caution - the temporary taxi-way is very rough in places and must be used with care.
Last edited by gasman on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Geraint Pinches
SteveX wrote:Wow. Man flies into grass airfield, lands, pays fee and departs.

That comment is unnecessary, in my opinion. There's nothing wrong in singing the praises of individual airfields if someone has had a good experience there.
Dave W, BobD, kanga liked this
By foxmoth
Manchester were very accommodating and allowed me to route direct through the zone on my way in,

Interesting, what time was this, also were you VFR or IFR and what routing?
By robert79
foxmoth wrote:
Manchester were very accommodating and allowed me to route direct through the zone on my way in,

Interesting, what time was this, also were you VFR or IFR and what routing?

It was about 0830. The frequency wasn't very busy at that time. I routed via just south of Grantham and from there a straight run to Barton. 3,500 kept me just above the broken cloud over the peaks (that sliver of Class A to the east of the Manchester zone was a damn nuisance).
My plan B was the LLR, but I don't think I could have legally/safely got to it from where I found myself, so plan B became head for home.
Called Manchester about 10 minutes out requesting transit direct to Barton, no problem at all and was immediately cleared into the zone. Controller advised he'd need to descend me in stages which he did.
I was VFR.

Is it unusual to get a transit? They seemed very accommodating and helpful.

Didn't bother on the way home as it was difficult to get a word in edgeways on frequency, the Barton departure took me to the LLR and I wanted to fly it in any case.
By robert79
Geraint Pinches wrote:
SteveX wrote:Wow. Man flies into grass airfield, lands, pays fee and departs.

That comment is unnecessary, in my opinion. There's nothing wrong in singing the praises of individual airfields if someone has had a good experience there.

My motivation was that a lot of otherwise useful places shut at 5, or only open certain days, or charge high fees for a few hours parking, or only have fuel at certain times or are a closed shop to the general public.
I was pleasantly surprised that I could go to my meeting without having to stress about it running over, or the traffic meaning it took 90 minutes to travel the 9 miles from meeting to aeroplane resulting in a 7pm departure. At some places that traffic jam would have cost me lots of hassle and hundreds of pounds, or an overnight stay.

The landing etc wasn't remarkable, but I can't think of another GA airfield that is quite so useful, accommodating and making such efforts to garner wider interest in our hobby.
Obviously some people lead more exciting lives than me. Good for them!

We need more places like Barton, that's all I was trying to say!
Alt2000, ArthurG, Charliesixtysix and 3 others liked this
By Alt2000
I rarely post, but on this occasion I feel it necessary. Barton airfield has improved significantly over the last few years, and the management are genuinely encouraging the public to visit the airfield. Barton now has a tremendous atmosphere and has a real buzz about it. The staff in the control tower are very efficient and calm under pressure even when the circuit is very busy. The airfield manager actively seeks feedback and questionnaires are sent by email periodically. I fly from Barton and I can confirm that it is " brilliant", and it is really pleasing when someone takes the time and effort to show their appreciation. Hope that you will be visiting us again soon.
robert79, Paul_Sengupta, ArthurG and 3 others liked this
By Chris Martyr
A good post there , robert79.

Airfields that work hard to attract custom and treat their visitors [and residents] as valuable contributors definitely need good support.
But what a shame that we have to bring this up in the first place !
Sure , there are quite a few other airfields who can see this and operate on a similar principle , but the unfortunate and inconvenient truth is that there are still , by a country mile , quite a few for whom the penny hasn't quite dropped.
I tend to vote with my feet with these airfields , but that will be little consolation in a few years time when they have been gobbled up for "garden city" type affordable housing or business/technology parks [ didn't they used to call them factory estates ?]

But well done Manchester Barton ... :thumright:

PS. Don't make it sound too positive , you may just get SteveX dropping in......... :pale:
By Ridders
Whatever you do, dont mention the prices to SteveX. Especially Porridge. :D
I last visited Barton with JB a few years ago in a certain yellow pup, crikey, reading the above its changed a bit then. Sounds like we need to visit again!