Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingeeza
"Well that didn't go to plan!"
I remember GtE stating those words when the engine he was sitting behind went clonkity clonk.
I'll keep it short...XAir Falcon 582 blue top shoved a piece of its iron innards through its crankcase on downwind on our arrival at Fenland today.
Prop thudded to a dead stop, coolant sprayed across the windscreen and wings, and we became a wet glider with a failing radio, so even my mayday call fell on deaf ears! One Microair M760 radio going in the skip...

Many thanks to the pilot who went around as I tucked into loose formation with him on short final with my stationary prop. My plan was to plonk it in the field next to the runway, but once he'd broken off his approach I had a clear shot at it. A gentleman indeed.

Just managed to glide my brick over the hedge into the NW corner of the displaced threshold of 18.
Then with the momentum managed to vacate just far enough to allow the many inbounds to land safely without delay. Some folks actually thought I'd run out of fuel! :roll:

Enormous thanks and much respect to everyone at Fenland who helped us get things sorted. Special thanks to Mike Faulkner who organised me a hangar space and was on the case right away sourcing a replacement engine.
What marvellous support! :thumright:
gadgetjunkie, Shrek235, ak7274 and 33 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
flyingeeza wrote:shoved a piece of its iron innards through its crankcase

Blimey! :shock:

flyingeeza wrote:Some folks actually thought I'd run out of fuel! :roll:

Pilot humour. "'Ere, mate, wanna hand pushing that to the pumps?"

A friend of mine had an engine failure at Leicester in a C150 and managed to get it onto the taxiway. I'm not sure if the A/G person saw him stop on the taxiway or whether it was a standard question, but what came over the air was, "G-CD, do you require fuel?"
flyingeeza liked this
By CloudHound
Everyone you walk away from!

Important to brush hair back in a jaunty manner (If one has some) adjust shades and carry on as if nothing has happened. Well that's what BoB told me anyway. :D

Main thing is you are both unharmed. BZs all round.
By BirdsEyeView
Yes, I witnessed this. Explained to hubby the aircraft behind was doing a go-around, Other than that there appeared to be no dramatics - just another day at an airfield.

Glad all was well you folks and well done.
By Chris Martyr
Flippin 'eck flyingeeza ! Been a bit of a funny old year for you hasn't it ?,,,,,,,,,,, :pale:

You're not that Pilot-X bloke are you,,,,,,,you know , the one who's always getting himself into bother.
One consolation mate ,,,,statistically , you should be OK for at least the next 15 years now.............. :thumright:
Pete L liked this
By Rob P
Phew!

Glad it all worked out :D

Rob P
By flyingeeza
Keveng wrote:Glad you and Mandy are both safe and sound Paul.

Mandy drove up to collect us after a work-related commitment. :thumright:
By SteveC
Do you remember me telling you about my 2 engine failures on the 582.... Glad to see you safe and sound. I guess our flight is going to be a bit delayed now!!!
By timr
I visited Fenland for first time in years. They kept warning about gliders....!

Missed this one, good to hear you are down safe.
By flyingeeza
SteveC wrote:Do you remember me telling you about my 2 engine failures on the 582.... Glad to see you safe and sound. I guess our flight is going to be a bit delayed now!!!

I do indeed! But how lucky to have it break on downwind after a whole hour aloft!
By SteveC
flyingeeza wrote:
SteveC wrote:Do you remember me telling you about my 2 engine failures on the 582.... Glad to see you safe and sound. I guess our flight is going to be a bit delayed now!!!

I do indeed! But how lucky to have it break on downwind after a whole hour aloft!

Yep, you were lucky. But at least you know why I made you practice those PFLs!!!!

I look forward to seeing it back in the air so we can risk life and limb again!!