Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Would you buy a ADS-B transceiver to take advantage of the UAT at £700?

No
42%
Yes
41%
I already have the capability to receive UAT
17%
By kanga
Gertie wrote:
foxmoth wrote:Do you really need access to NOTAMS while in the air...

ATC are usually helpful IME. eg: "do you know about the RAT for the unexploded bomb that was promulgated three minutes ago?".

Since 9/11 there have been wide TRAs promulgated by NOTAM protecting Marine One helicopter routes between White House, Andrews AFB and Camp David. There is no notice of these promulgations, and they are enforced by armed aircraft. The effect, for local GA, was at first and maybe still to make these nofly areas permanent, as there would be no defence of ignorance about a NOTAM promulgated after a GA pilot's takeoff. I have not heard from GA colleagues of mine in Maryland whether airborne reception of NOTAMs has made any difference
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
velostar wrote:
Cub wrote:All of which MIGHT be about to change ;-)

Spill the beans then Cub :-)

All in good time but not too long I hope.
By Cub
IF UAT data, METAR, TAF, NOTAM, Upper Winds and Rainfall was free but only to airframes emitting ADS-B out, would that be fair or punitive?
By patowalker
Fair. My airframe emits ADS-B out for the benefit of others. :D

Well, maybe I get some benefit, because those reading my ADS-B out will avoide me.
By scottish_ppl
Fair, and a better solution than asking for a subscription.

What is the geographical coverage of a broadcast station?, i.e. Would this likely be a small area trial, followed by a rollout that would take years, or would the entire UK be covered easily by a few stations?