Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Ahhh....Thanks for that! :D
Still leaves a bit of a conundrum though to mount bottom or top to get best coverage.

Yes this comes down to judgement really.
Interestingly, a helicopter pilot just posted a screengrab on our forum, where he was receiving an aircraft from a distance of 335km - completely useless for our purposes to be fair, but an interesting datapoint.
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/t ... l#msg15750

thx
Lee
Shoestring Flyer liked this
Hi Lee,
On your website you say that PilotAware is compatible with Dynon Skyview. However some I have talked to say they are having problems and also Dynon say on their forum that PilotAware protocol isn't compatible.
See here:-
http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1496337805
Would you care to comment please?........I have twin Dynon Skyviews so compatibility is important.
leemoore1966 wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Ahhh....Thanks for that! :D
Still leaves a bit of a conundrum though to mount bottom or top to get best coverage.

Yes this comes down to judgement really.
Interestingly, a helicopter pilot just posted a screengrab on our forum, where he was receiving an aircraft from a distance of 335km - completely useless for our purposes to be fair, but an interesting datapoint.
http://forum.pilotaware.com/index.php/t ... l#msg15750

thx
Lee

Lee, that is an ADSB transmission, the discussion was about P3i antenna. I still think that antenna diversity is nessesary, and IIRC the chip used in PAW is capable? FLARM initially only had diversity on some models, now I think all support it (for a fee). They did that for a reason, and it wasn't to sell more antennas :D This also applies to any low power system and will be very interested in how the SkyEcho internal patch antenna perform in real life.
As you will have gathered by my recent posts my knowledge on the subject of suitable antennas and the positioning therof could be contained in a very small wet paper bag!
However I would have thought that some sort of antenna diversity in a hard wired setup was an important requirement as Ian eludes to above.
Shoestring Flyer wrote:... as Ian eludes to above.
He alluded, you have to do the eluding once you're warned of traffic
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Hi Lee,
On your website you say that PilotAware is compatible with Dynon Skyview. However some I have talked to say they are having problems...
Have a look here: PAw forum thread for info from someone who has connected them successfully.
also:
not MY post (HIS) wrote:My(His) post on the Dynon SV forum describes how to achieve it: SkyView forum thread
He may be using the Skyview GPS as the position source for PAw and the PAw to provide traffic (via SD or other tablet app/Radar view?). Aural warnings only for Mode C/S, the rest as normal
For SkyView, you must use the FLARM connection method not TIS-B
also the Baud rate needs to be 57600 or above, 9600 is just not good enough for transmission

Also I recall there was some confusion regarding whether the SkyView accepts RS232 or Serial TTL, I cannot remember exactly but I think there is more than one serial port, you have to ensure you connect the correct cable for RS232 or serial - I wish I could remember the exact details.

addendum:
Now I think about it, the system having RS232 and TTL serial may be the AVMAP not the Dynon

Thx
Lee
Shoestring Flyer liked this
I too frequently fly with my Mode S Transponder off when in good VMC conditions. The reason being I fly a sailplane which has limited availability of electrical power and my flights are mostly over four hours and can exceed nine.

This ensures I am able to use it when flying in cloud, limited inflight visibility, entering TMZs, to ease Class D airspace penetrations, and when operating near or within active MATZs.

It would be nice to believe other pilots flying in uncontrolled airspace displayed good airmanship by maintaining an adequate lookout. Sadly I know that is not the case as so many appear to believe their plethora of avionic gadgets absolve them from this vital part of basic airmanship.
AnnDover wrote: Sadly I know that is not the case as so many appear to believe their plethora of avionic gadgets absolve them from this vital part of basic airmanship.

How do you know this is the case?
I have never spoken to anyone who thinks this.
More often the opposite is true, in that many think that the MK1 eyeball lookout is sufficient without the need for supplemental electronic conspicuity , which I know from personal experience is not the case ;-)

Just askin!
SL
kanga liked this
By PaulisHome
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
AnnDover wrote:I too frequently fly with my Mode S Transponder off when in good VMC conditions. The reason being I fly a sailplane which has limited availability of electrical power and my flights are mostly over four hours and can exceed nine.

This ensures I am able to use it when flying in cloud, limited inflight visibility, entering TMZs, to ease Class D airspace penetrations, and when operating near or within active MATZs.

It would be nice to believe other pilots flying in uncontrolled airspace displayed good airmanship by maintaining an adequate lookout. Sadly I know that is not the case as so many appear to believe their plethora of avionic gadgets absolve them from this vital part of basic airmanship.

I don't think lack of battery power is usable these days as a reason to turn off or not have a transponder - battery technology has improved, and it's fairly straightforward to keep the transponder on.

But having a transponder is more to do with ATC being able to see you than other aircraft. You need (eg) ADSB ES with the transponder to help with the latter.

And I don't know any pilots who think that electronic conspicuity avoids having to look out.

Paul
gaznav liked this