Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Kemble Pitts wrote:have you done the conversion yourself

I personally didn't do a conversion as such, I completely built the headsets from scratch. The ANR kit replaces the ear piece speakers and I need a different microphone in my ex-military aeroplane. Thus if I'd started with a headset, the only thing that would be left would be the hardware and the cable, which would have the wrong plugs on and no wire for the ANR power. So I bought the (David Clark) hardware bits from a spares supplier, the Headsets Inc ANR kits and the microphones, and built a couple of headsets.
By Human Factor
Kemble Pitts wrote:Human Factor - any idea what CEP costs? It looks like an interesting solution. With an Alpha helmet, how much of a faff is it to put on/take off etc. when going flying?

Riverrock & Paul Sengupta, the ANR kit looks good value, have you done the conversion yourself or had it done by Richard Holder? Anybody know how I can contact him?

Rob P - just why I want ANR.

I bought a set for my old Gentex, which was about $100. A mate did the helmet wiring. HSL fitted a socket to my Alpha in build for a few pounds. The same set of earpieces fit both.

As for ease of use, there's a technique for putting an Alpha on but it's no drama. Earpieces in, helmet on, plug earpieces into helmet. That's it.
By BobM
Richard put one of the ANR kits in my Gentex HGU-55 helmet, it works OK as long as you keep out of the wind, in the 450 Stearman its no good ( although that may be the intercom ) in various Gipsy Major powered stuff its OK. Generally ANR doesn't seem to work well in open cockpits.http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article ... SYDN9y1u70
By Kemble Pitts
Interesting stuff, especially the link to the headset survey.

I'm now a bit conflicted. I'm flying an open cockpit Pitts S2A, one of the ex-Rothmans jobs. Super aeroplane but very noisy, especially in the rear cockpit. Instructing from the front it is a little better, probably because the rear cockpit gets the down-wash from the top wing and the front doesn't.

I have a non-ANR Alpha helmet and a very good Lightspeed PFX ANR headset; neither seems to cope well with this aeroplane.

I was thinking that the best answer would be to get the Alpha upgraded to ANR but now I'm not so sure...

Maybe ANR conversion of the Alpha plus the in-ear?
By Human Factor
Not sure whether both would work together.

eharding of this parish knows what he's talking about. Assuming he's not currently herding asparagus in New Zealand, I expect he'll be along shortly... :wink:
By Paul_Sengupta
Whatever happened to those earplugs which let a narrow band of speech frequencies though but blocked most noise?

Am I making something up? I'm sure I read about these sort of things in the past.
By nallen
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Whatever happened to those earplugs which let a narrow band of speech frequencies though but blocked most noise?

Am I making something up? I'm sure I read about these sort of things in the past.

You mean this sort of thing? https://www.earpeace.com/pages/motorcycle-ear-plugs
By Kemble Pitts
Latest news flash.

The Zulu Lightspeed PFX (with Type G cloth helmet holding all in place) is much better than the non-ANR Alpha helmet.

I'm looking to try the CEP with the Alpha plus ANR conversion of the Alpha.

Geezers on the bench are amusing and I will try the motorcycle Earpeace in the short term.

Open cockpits are not the newest innovation in aviation, and I learn't to fly open-cockpit, but this seems to be a difficult one to solve!!
By Human Factor
Whatever happened to those earplugs which let a narrow band of speech frequencies though but blocked most noise?

I wear a set under Sennheiser ANRs at work. I got mine from Ultimate Ear.