Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have been asked this and can't find the answer in CAP804 Sec 4 Part P or elsewhere.

A young chap I know is the holder of a gliding Silver C.

He wishes to gain a licence that allows him to fly SEP & TMG on EASA aircraft.

What, if any, credit can he claim against the minimum training hours for:

i) EASA PPL
ii) LAPL(A)

?

Thanks.

(And if you could tell me where I should have been looking to find the definitive answer, I'd be even more grateful)

PS He'll be doing this in 2017. Would a more efficient route be Silver C -> NPPL SLMG -> LAPL(A)? On the face of it, it wouldn't appear so, but...
The credits are towards LAPL(S) and SPL - see Section 4 Part P

He would have to get LAPL(S) then add TMG extensions, then convert to LAPL(A) TMG then add SEP, very complicated. I'd recommend he goes for NPPL(SLMG) then adds SSEA to the NPPL, then converts to LAPL(A) with SEP and TMG.

I can recommend TMG schools if required!
Dave W liked this
By Dave W
Ah, thanks @Balliol. I had thought one was able to credit directly towards a PPL, which was what I was failing to find in CAP804 Sec4 Part P.

I was under the impression that it was previously possible to do that - but perhaps only for a non-EASA PPL?

He's a school in mind, I think - and I suspect it might be one you would point to, given your advice to me a couple of years ago when I was looking for a TMG Rating school for myself. :thumleft:
I'm with Balliol (& Dave W's PS):
Silver C> NPPL SLMG> add SSEA> convert to LAPL(A) SEP & TMG or even PPL(A) SEP & TMG

A trap for many (notably including me when looking at PPL(H)) is to focus on the hours, when what matters is meeting the standards. These are all just about the same for NPPL & LAPL & PPL and nearly always need more than those specified minimum hours. (some extra stuff for PPL)

Don't know of any organisations offering TMG extensions to '(S)' licences.
Dave W liked this
By webdevduck
Provided the young chap has "a licence" (glider, helicopter, etc.) he gets 10% of P1 hours credited to reduce the minimum hours requirement of a PPL. The maximum discount is 10 hours (so he can reduce minimum from 45 to 35 hours). I don't think there's any credit for a LAPL. It's all at http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Pilot-licences/EASA-requirements/PPL-SPL-BPL/PPL-(A)-requirements/.

The NPPL route requires a minimum of 10 hours under instruction on a motor glider until reaching the standard for an NPPL SMLG. Some gliding clubs do this. With the relevant training (no minimum hours requirement) this can then be converted to an NPPL SSEA. After 6 hours PIC this can be traded in for a LAPL(A) SEP+TMG if desired (until next April at least). See section 3.15 in http://www.nationalprivatepilotslicence.co.uk/NPPL%20XC%20REV%2011.pdf.
I've done the glider pilot to NPPL SLMG and SSEA route.

Did the 10 hours SLMG - which must include at least one hour solo, the NAV and GST are extra, then the SSEA conversion - which took about 4 hours. The SSEA type conversion just requires a log book signature, not a GST.

It's all covered well in a very clear document on the NPPL web site.

Then convert the NPPL to an EASA LAPL, I'm planning to get as much done as possible on the NPPL - towing, tailwheel etc. - before converting to the LAPL over the winter.

Enstone for the SLMG, White Waltham for the SSEA type conversion.

Chris
Dave W liked this