Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gaznav
It would depend on the frequency of the gusts as well. I believe that met observers use a 10 minute or less frequency to report gusts, so that is sensible to me. Otherwise, in your scenario, you have a gust of 36kts once in 3 hours and you deem it unacceptable (which it obviously isn't in my opinion).

Best

Gaz
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrahamB wrote:One thing to note - in the northern hemisphere gusts will often veer from the reported wind direction.

So a reported wind 20 degrees off runway heading to the left will tend to gust more aligned with the runway, but with a reported wind off to the right the gusts will tend to be more across the runway.

I never knew that. You live and learn. Thanks
Rob P liked this
By Dodo
UKflyer wrote:Hello all, new to the forum, had my PPL and been flying for about year and half.

Just had some thoughts and was hoping that some fellow aviators might help my thought process by answering them here.

Would you be happy to land in this situation?.

I would now, after more than 500 hrs in high wing Cessnas including lots of landings in gusty crosswinds. I would not have deliberately exposed myself to that forecast crosswind at a much earlier stage of flying. Oddly enough, I have frightened myself more in unexpectedly gusty crosswind takeoffs in high wing a/c than in landings.
BirdsEyeView liked this
By Dave_Ett
Interesting comments on the use of flap.

I was taught to land flapless in gusty conditions as it gives better penetration and less susceptibility to the gusts. The higher landing speed is not a problem given the runway length.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
By leiafee
UKflyer wrote:Yeah, thought that might be the first question. 20 knot wind gusting to 36 knots, 20 degrees off the the runway.

Would depend almost entirely on my currency in the aircraft type.

If I pretend for a moment all my recent hours are on a 172 instead of the little X'Air then as I sit here right now, nope. But that's because we've had a wet spring and I'm not super current. Same conditions at the end of last summer then yep.
kanga liked this
By SteveC
Dave_Ett wrote:Interesting comments on the use of flap.

I was taught to land flapless in gusty conditions as it gives better penetration and less susceptibility to the gusts. The higher landing speed is not a problem given the runway length.

And what happens if you need to land at a short field in gusty conditions? I use exactly the same configuration and speeds regardless of the conditions. You just need to ensure that you manage your power and pitch correctly.
AndyR liked this
By Gertie
SteveC wrote:And what happens if you need to land at a short field in gusty conditions?

I can't easily imagine "needing" to. My piloting skills are not up to reliable short field landings with gusty crosswinds, so if that's the only choice on a particular day then I don't take off in the first place.

I do fly for fun, and if it's not going to be fun I don't spend the money.
kanga liked this
By Dave_Ett
Hope so! Initial thoughts are that the wind is likely strong to be creating strong gusts, and therefor whilst airspeed might be a few knots higher when flapless, grounds peed should still be low?

By Gertie
Dave_Ett wrote:Hope so! Initial thoughts are that the wind is likely strong to be creating strong gusts, and therefor whilst airspeed might be a few knots higher when flapless, grounds peed should still be low?

Unless it's all crosswind ...
By Gertie
Dave_Ett wrote:In which case it'd be beyond my skills!

Mine too. That's what was going on a couple of weeks ago: I remained on the ground.