Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Tried searching for this but LAPL seems to be flavour of the month, anyway a question.

I have an Easa part Fcl ppl (A) and a Class 2 medical which expires next month, I now fly a non easa aircraft ( Piper Cub ). I believe I can now just self declare and carry on flying, and the self declared medical lasts until I'm 70.
Now what do I do if I want to rent a spamcan for the odd trip further afield, do I just renew my class 2 ?
If so, what if anything, happens to the self declaration. ?

Tia.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You need to check that your particular type of licence can be validated for the flying you want to do with a self declaration - the CAA self declaration webpages give some further guidance.

Have you god an 'old fashioned pre-JAR' UK CAA PPL?

The Self-Declaration remains valid even if you go and get another LAPL or Class 2 medical.
The answers to your question are contained in CAP 1441 (Google it). I understand that the license/medical combination you propose will be legal for your Piper Cub, but you will not be able to renew a single-engine piston rating with that combo; I think you will only be able to renew it as an SSEA rating. To fly a spam can, you will need both to renew your SEP rating and get a class two medical. As Franks says, you can hold a class two medical and a medical declaration at the same time, but not two EASA licenses.
By ozplane
I fly an Annex 2 aeroplane on a UK NPPL with medical self certification. which meets my needs. However I do sometimes fly a chum's Cessna 150 (an EASA) aircraft. Can I fly it after April next year on an old UK PPL with a self certification with NPPL restrictiions? I'm too long in the tooth to bother with an LAPL and CAP 1441 doesn't cover it as far as I can see.
Please help, similar situation, going to use CAA declaration but cant find any info on SEP revalidation/renewal with the declaration and an EASA Part FCL PPL. What is the CAA policy on this as a flight with an instructor is under the instructors medical, so could be done in an EASA if needed or Annex ii.

Alternatively does this mean reapplying for the UK PPL.

Thanks
A le Ron wrote:. I understand that the license/medical combination you propose will be legal for your Piper Cub, but you will not be able to renew a single-engine piston rating with that combo; I think you will only be able to renew it as an SSEA rating. To fly a spam can, you will need both to renew your SEP rating and get a class two medical.

Ok understood, I think :) however my SEP rating is valid until the end of June 2018 so at or before that point it will need to be renewed. Do I really need to renew my Class 2 just to have my hour with an instructor to renew my rating ? I realise this is necessary for hiring.
By Irv Lee
I am fairly sure one of the memos about this mentioned not needing a full medical any more to revalidate an Sep rating, whether I have time to find it to check if it was for Sep in uk licence or for Sep in all licences is another matter. So turn to the examiner handbook of Sept 2016 which seems to say sign a Sep revalidation (by experience or test) even with no medical but warn the pilot not to fly, so I think a revalidation can be signed with a medical declaration for flights in Sep of any sort if they limitations are re-stated (e.g. If EASA licence, EASA aircraft cannot be flown on medical declaration), and also microlight hours do not count to the 12 or 13 hours for reval/validity if it is an EASA licence. (12 for Sep rating, 13 for lapl validity in case you were wondering). So until I can find otherwise, annex ii Sep hours count for reval except for that.
If anyone does go ssea for some reason, they would need a uk national licence of some sort, it cannot be put in an EASA ppl.
Last edited by Irv Lee on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
A le Ron liked this
By Irv Lee
A le Ron wrote:Thanks - I won't say the mist is clearing, just that there has been a temporary opening..

I recommend if you can't find the reval answers in my checklist, you simply ask any CRI or FI who never asked for 945 privileges but got them anyway. :clown: