Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unexpectedly it looks like I may be free for Oshkosh this year, anyone going?
By foxmoth
First time for me, any tips for getting there, what to do etc appreciated.
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Best way to get there? Fly yourself, failing that commercial to Chicago and then rental car to Oshkosh (2 - 3hrs)
Best place to stay? Garden Inn on the field but $$$$$$$$$$. Loads of other options from camping to uni dorms, to rooms in houses and of course hotels (lots of people stay in Appleton). Check website for 'accommodations' as they say
What to do? Gawp, walk, talk soak it all in. In addition to more aircraft than you'll have ever seen in one place there's displays (a bit zzzzz), lectures. workshops, hangars full of stands, music, evening cinema, the museum, vintage areas, warbird areas etc. etc. etc.
Obvious stuff Sort accommodation sooner rather than later, expect to walk lots and lots, don't forget to include a trip out to the seaplane base.

Ian
By foxmoth
Obvious stuff Sort accommodation sooner rather than later

Even if you opt for the camping option? Rather appeals as I can imagine there would be lots of like minded people and a good atmosphere!
By G-BLEW
Boss Man  Boss Man
Rob L would be your camping expert, not really my bag to be honest.

Ian
By Lefty
G-BLEW wrote:Best way to get there? Fly yourself, failing that commercial to Chicago and then rental car to Oshkosh (2 - 3hrs)
Best place to stay? Garden Inn on the field but $$$$$$$$$$. Loads of other options from camping to uni dorms, to rooms in houses and of course hotels (lots of people stay in Appleton). Check website for 'accommodations' as they say
What to do? Gawp, walk, talk soak it all in. In addition to more aircraft than you'll have ever seen in one place there's displays (a bit zzzzz), lectures. workshops, hangars full of stands, music, evening cinema, the museum, vintage areas, warbird areas etc. etc. etc.
Obvious stuff Sort accommodation sooner rather than later, expect to walk lots and lots, don't forget to include a trip out to the seaplane base.

Ian

Very succinct and very accurate - especially visiting the seaplane base - and be ready for loads and loads of walking.
(Ever thought of getting in to journalism) :D
By ChrisRowland
I went to the EAA museum some years ago. I had a business trip to Milwaukee, a rental car and a free weekend.

It's an interesting place, even without the fly in. I had a commercial ride in the Trimotor - essentially a three engine 20 seat Supercub. Ran out of film.

Milwaukee airport was international then, a lot quieter than Chicago, and has a second hand bookshop in the mall.
By vahgatsi
If, like me, you value an en-suite bathroom so you don't have to trek down the corridors of the university accommodation (some of which has no air-con either) at 5am to go to the bathroom.

Don't worry about finding (at this late stage) hotel accommodation close to the show. Even if you have to drive for an hour to the show every day it's no big deal. Contrary to my expectations getting to the car parks at the show was a well organised, streamlined operation which did not mean massive queues and one got in fairly quickly.
The truth is you will drive in to the show in the morning and leave late afternoon evening. You won't need your car in between and the longer drive from a decent hotel is well worth it, IMHO.
By Flying_john
NOW TAKEN.

We have rented a 4 bedroom house in Waupun and at the moment still have two spare rooms (one twin one double) for $80 / night as part of our group dropped out after we booked it !.

Details in the For Sale section or PM me.
Last edited by Flying_john on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Iceman
I thought that I'd already sent you an e-mail John stating that I'd like to reserve the rooms ? Did you not receive it ?

Iceman 8)