Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
I'm also informed the notified opening times are 0900 - 1700 mon-fri. ie the same as when it was RAE/DTEO Llanbedr. Did Fly Llanbedr ever operate it at weekends?
Maybe if there was enough interest expressed to the operators, they would open at weekends also.
The increased activity I mentioned above will not be GA activity.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:I'm also informed the notified opening times are 0900 - 1700 mon-fri. ie the same as when it was RAE/DTEO Llanbedr. Did Fly Llanbedr ever operate it at weekends?
Maybe if there was enough interest expressed to the operators, they would open at weekends also.

Can't see interest "expressed" doing it if they're already seen a third party try and fail to make enough to cover their costs.

Needs some other model. Not sure what. Same problem as most GA fields I suppose.

With added geography. :?
leiafee wrote:
chevvron wrote:I'm also informed the notified opening times are 0900 - 1700 mon-fri. ie the same as when it was RAE/DTEO Llanbedr. Did Fly Llanbedr ever operate it at weekends?

Can't see interest "expressed" doing it if they're already seen a third party try and fail to make enough to cover their costs.

Needs some other model. Not sure what. Same problem as most GA fields I suppose.

With added geography. :?

Just to operate unlicensed using blind calls so no need for even A/G. All it needs then is someone to unlock the gate every day and maybe log landings/collect landing fees; not many staff required for that is there?
By Lefty
I visited Llanbedr (with the Waltham Wing) several times over a the last couple of years. It was a very pleasant trip whether for the bacon butties - or taking the walk down to the sea shore.

Fly Llanbedr tried hard to make it work, but AFAIUI, they were restricted to Sat&Sun only. They asked Qinetiq if the could fly in the evenings, but this was refused. I'm told that they concluded that they couldn't make it financially viable if only flying weekends.
By leiafee
chevvron wrote:

Just to operate unlicensed using blind calls so no need for even A/G. All it needs then is someone to unlock the gate every day and maybe log landings/collect landing fees; not many staff required for that is there?[/quote]

Have you been there? It's like Fort Knox! And only going to get more so one assumes if they're droning...
leiafee wrote:Have you been there? It's like Fort Knox! And only going to get more so one assumes if they're droning...

Well they're unlikely to 'drone' at weekends, but in any case, their summer visitors will have pilots on board.
By Lefty
Like it or not, Llanbedr is one of the UK's most secret research airfields. The owners neither want, or need, us pleasure flyers turning up to (potentially) compromise the security of their private airfield.

It was fantastic that the FLY Llanbedr guys managed to persuade Qinetiq to let us in. FlyLanbedr had to agree to take responsibility for managing visiting aircraft and crews.

With no organisation onsite to take over that responsibility (and persuade Qinetiq to let them), then I suspect that Qinrtic have nothing to gain by letting us use the airfield - (and potentially quite a lot to lose).
rikur_ liked this
Many thanks to all the forum Members who have posted positive comments about Llanbedr. The opportunity to facilitate GA landing at Llanbedr is not lost on us which is why we have gone to the trouble of installing the now fully self service fuel installations.

The fuel like the FIS is currently available in published hours which are 09:00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday. To comply with the CAA ansp approval I can assure readers we are fully staffed during these published hours. At a point in the near future when we have addressed necessary security issues then it is likely we may well accept PPR again on an Out of Hours basis including weekends.

Various security solutions are currently being evaluated to ensure that whichever is integrated to the site best suits all user needs for the future.

We are submitting a CAA licence aerodrome application shortly which is in connection with RPAS, military training exercises and Spaceport. For both CAA and our commercial customers, safety and security are of paramount importance and a change to the weekend and out of hours policy will only come about when we feel all issues have been properly addressed.

Fuel supply is a key attribute for any airfield and it’s users, and I am pleased to say that both the Avgas and the Jet A1 (with additives, low pressure feed) are available self service and it would be in everyone’s interest if the supply was accessible at weekends. However, your safety and security in their use is also of key importance and we will open when we can. We are also keen to open again at weekends in order to help support the renewed airfield café.

This weekend, 29th to 31stApril, the airfield will be closed completely in support of a car rally, but please lookout for further news about the airfield on the Llanbedr Facebook page, and when we are able to throw the doors open again I shall be pleased to make a post on the Flyer forum.

You will all be more than welcome on the weekend of 3rd and 4th of June when we open for the 3rd and 4th Round of the British Handicap Air Racing Championship. PPR fights are permitted outside of the NOTAM race times.

We look forward to seeing you.

David Young, Partner Snowdonia Aerospace LLP.
flybymike, Squadgy, Nick and 11 others liked this