Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dyslexnick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Weather permitting i plan to fly up from Popham next saturday to watch Doncaster home to Exeter City at the Keepmoat stadium. Any local tips on the transport options between the airport and the football ground (and back) please?
Many thanks
Nick
By SteveC
Naff all. A taxi is pretty much the only option. I am flying out of there for work at the moment for my sins and its in the middle of nowhere!!! I have to take a backup for lunch!!
By pilotbarry
More (useless advice)

I am told football is a sport and that all sport, every single game can be watched live or even more sadly in a recorded form, therefore there is no need to waste your money flying to watch an unsatisfactory match in the cold.
trapdoor, dont overfill liked this
By chevvron
Dyslexnick wrote:Weather permitting i plan to fly up from Popham next saturday to watch Doncaster home to Exeter City at the Keepmoat stadium. Any local tips on the transport options between the airport and the football ground (and back) please?
Many thanks
Nick

The Keepmoat is actually ON the airport - the original Doncaster Airport that is
Closed in the 80s (edited credit to flybymike ) by a council greedy for land to sell to developers.
Last edited by chevvron on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By chevvron
pilotbarry wrote:More (useless advice)

I am told football is a sport and that all sport, every single game can be watched live or even more sadly in a recorded form, therefore there is no need to waste your money flying to watch an unsatisfactory match in the cold.

I used to think that; used to hate football especially its overpaid and mollycoddled players who think they can do what they like without any comeback.
Then I started going to Craven Cottage.
It's the atmosphere; the whole experience, which you don't feel if you watch it online or TV.
Waveflyer, pilotbarry liked this
By flybymike
chevvron wrote:
Dyslexnick wrote:Weather permitting i plan to fly up from Popham next saturday to watch Doncaster home to Exeter City at the Keepmoat stadium. Any local tips on the transport options between the airport and the football ground (and back) please?
Many thanks
Nick

The Keepmoat is actually ON the airport - the original Doncaster Airport that is
Closed in the 70s by a council greedy for land to sell to developers.

It must have been a bit later than the seventies. I remember flying in there around 1984.
By chevvron
flybymike wrote:
It must have been a bit later than the seventies. I remember flying in there around 1984.

Thanks, I've edited my original.
I visited there a couple of times while based at the radar unit at Lindholme in '73 and thought it closed only a short time later.
By Jetblu
Doncaster is a dump! I know somebody has got to live there, but...

I flew into Gamston on Saturday. I'd fly in there and get a taxi into Doncaster if you really must.
By 2Donkeys
Land at Doncaster/Robin Hood/etc. Use Weston for handling (they are very good and not expensive). Take a taxi direct from Weston to the stadium. It's not far. The extra taxi costs from Gamston (or wherever) will quickly cover the handling fee.
By joe-fbs
As an ex-local who flys up to see family in the area a few times a year I keep an eye on the main three local airfields. Sandtoft and Gamston are great light GA airfields so are cheap, friendly, have decent cafes (Gamston's is outstanding, Sandtoft's is OK) and are suitable for taking relatives for local flights while you are there. They also have no lights, no approaches and they keep office hours. Doncaster spaceport has lights and approaches and theoretically the sort of hours you might want to get to and from a football match. However, handling is compulsory (but not as pointed out above extortionately priced as it was a few years ago) and it also keeps office hours (unless you pay a whacking fee) so this destination also keeps office hours for light GA.

Sandtoft is also miles from Doncaster centre, where the football stadium is located, so has the same taxi / handling fee balance to look at as does Gamston.
By Dyslexnick
Thanks for the information all

Steve C . you dont paint a great picture

Cloud hound .Too old for birds of any description

Pilot Barry .Exeter games tend not to be televised which is one of the attractions ! (mainly cos we are not very good!)

Chevron .I like Craven cottage too , along with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Portsmouth who play at proper "old" grounds .

2 donkeys Thanks for the info on Weston ,the attraction of a taxi is i can arrange for the return trip at the same time rather than a post match public transport scrum.

I like following my football team by air but the opportunities are rather limited because the season is mainly winter !

Nick
2Donkeys liked this