Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Gertie
Had a passenger today who, after a period of being a bit quiet, said he felt sick. (It was very slightly thermally and bumpy, but not really so's I'd noticed much.)

I

- reminded him where the sick bag was
- slowed down
- avoided flying directly underneath the biggest cumulous clouds

and he wasn't actually sick.

Anything else/better I could have done? Do people let queasy passengers have a go on the controls, and if so does that help?
By ianfallon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sounds well handled. I always brief first timers to communicate immediately if they feel unwell and specifically "do not just go quiet". Yes having control can help but some people are not inclined to do so. Best to not stray too far from the airfield if there is doubt about how they feel :thumleft:
By lobstaboy
Yes that will help. Tell them to look outside at the horizon in front. Make sure there is good ventilation too. Give them a job to do helping with the nav - can they spot the next visual reference point?
T67M, ianfallon liked this
By Gertie
Ta. I'll remember the "tell me immediately, don't just go quiet" for next time, hadn't heard that one before.

Couldn't have fooled him by asking him to help with the nav though, he already knew I had the GPS driving the HSI, and he was reading the various instruments well enough to know how high we were, how far we had to go, etc.

I did offer him the various ventilation options but he didn't seem to think they'd help.
By PeteSpencer
I quickly teach pax the twelve o'clock rule before departure and invite them to call 'n' o'clock traffic 'high' (above horizon@), 'level' (on horizon) or 'low' (below horizon, plus anything with a con trail doesn't count.

Seems to work, keeps then heads out and makes them feel they're playing a part.

(also have a damp flannel in a ziplok bag in my side pocket and a sick bag in my knee board.)

The half-pack of paper hand towels left over from the day job in my flight bag has never been used in anger.

Goes with out saying that the words 'sick' or 'queasy' aren't used: I rather quaintly use 'out-of-sorts' or 'unwell'. :roll:

Peter
By GingerFI
I always used to advise them that if they felt even remotely queasy to tuck their chin and mouth in to their t-shirt/top. Obviously going from breathing fresh air to breathing a combination of their own deodorant, aftershave and sweat is liable to make things worse if anything. At least if they do erupt, it'll be relatively contained and you'll have minimal cleaning to do.
ChrisT liked this
By Gertie
GingerFI wrote:I always used to advise them that if they felt even remotely queasy to tuck their chin and mouth in to their t-shirt/top. Obviously going from breathing fresh air to breathing a combination of their own deodorant, aftershave and sweat is liable to make things worse if anything. At least if they do erupt, it'll be relatively contained and you'll have minimal cleaning to do.

Ha ha. However that is why, in my younger days, when holding a party I'd put a green light bulb in the loo - if anyone was going to be sick that might tip them over the edge in the right place.
By Dave W
Gertie wrote:I did offer him the various ventilation options but he didn't seem to think they'd help.

Learner_Driver is right. I'd provide it anyway. Somebody's going to be clearing it up, and it's often going to be you.
By PeteSpencer
One of our members' pax cagged in our arrow a while back:

Not kidding it took three months for the smell to go even with an air freshener block velcroed to the rear cabin floor.... :shock:
By townleyc
I recall when I was driving a South London minicab for a while back in the early 80s, a colleague who had just bought a brand new car had somebody throw up into the heater. Nothing would shift the smell, so after less than 3 months he had to sell it - in the summer!

KE
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Gertie wrote:Had a passenger today who, after a period of being a bit quiet, said he felt sick. (It was very slightly thermally and bumpy, but not really so's I'd noticed much.)

I

- reminded him where the sick bag was
- slowed down
- avoided flying directly underneath the biggest cumulous clouds

and he wasn't actually sick.

Anything else/better I could have done? Do people let queasy passengers have a go on the controls, and if so does that help?

I always carry a gun in the cockpit for this very reason.
By Jim Jones
Being too hot can cause nausea in an enclosed space. Part of pre take off check should be to ensure the pax can easily shed a top layer of clothes. (Stop sniggering at the back)
It may be a cold day but the sun into a closed cockpit soon changes that.

I had a quilt-coated, large pax become nauseous, I returned asap to the airfield but my rush to land resulted in a bent u/c leg. :?