Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As a non-pilot, It's only of academic interest to me, but, AFAIK, the placard with the grade should give the info.

There is at least one regular contributor who is current and extremely well clued-up on these matters. with a bit of luck, he'll see the thread and put us all right!.
By MikeB
flyingeeza wrote:
cockney steve wrote: IIRC, it is ESSO and the giveaway, is the fuel-spec. marked on the pump......all Ethanol-containing blends have a code which is absent on the "clean" product dispensers.

I have yet to find the "E" spec or any code on any pump...where do they hide it?

Cockney Steve is close but no cigar (not advisable to smoke around Mogas in any event :D )

Forecourt pump markings form part of the BS EN228 (Mogas) specification, and are thus mandatory.

However there is no requirement in BS EN228 pump marking rules to state ethanol content for fuel containing anything between zero and 5% ethanol. Thus the absence of marking does not mean the fuel is ethanol free.

There is a requirement to label high oxygenate fuel with "E10". As far as I am aware, there is no high oxygenate fuel (ethanol content 10% maximum) currently marketed in the UK, and thus this is currently of academic interest only.
When we tour in the Sportcruiser we carry empty cans with us and fill up at petrol stations The baggage bay will take two 20 L cans laid on their side really comfortably.
On our last big foreign trip we flew to a grass strip near La Rochelle, stayed overnight with friends and they drove past Carrefour so we filled up 40l that evening, again on the way back to the plane we put another 40l in and that gave us enough to get to Menorca where we stayed with a friend and did the same. Our next leg took us back to mainland Spain and down to our place near Malaga for a week. We have a car there so it was easy to refuel...
The return trip was La Rochelle, overnight , refuel etc. then back to the UK
Sure, it is a bit of a faff taking two trips to the gas station but it more than paid for itself as we bought 320 L on the whole trip and paid £350 , Avgas would have nearly doubled that cost.
Don't forget you can fly out of the UK with the cans full if your W&B allow, also you have two 20L wing lockers which would take fuel cans too
[quote="Windjammer"
Don't forget you can fly out of the UK with the cans full if your W&B allow, also you have two 20L wing lockers which would take fuel cans too[/quote]

False.

You may only take 10 litres of fuel in a canister when entering France, whether by car or private aircraft.

I was met at Pontarlier by French customs some years ago, I had about 30 litres of Mogas on board that I had bought fully taxed in Switzerland, I was nevertheless fined 50 Euros and charged French VAT on the quantity of fuel above 10 litres, and my name (and my father's name for some reason...!) put on record in case of further 'infraction importante'.

Incidentally if travelling by car there are stricter rules for carrying fuel by ferry or in the tunnel.
By patowalker
Windjammer wrote:Don't forget you can fly out of the UK with the cans full if your W&B allow, also you have two 20L wing lockers which would take fuel cans too

... and don't forget this invalidates your Permit to Fly, so you need to self-insure.
By mick w
Remosflyer wrote:[quote="Windjammer"
Don't forget you can fly out of the UK with the cans full if your W&B allow, also you have two 20L wing lockers which would take fuel cans too

False.

You may only take 10 litres of fuel in a canister when entering France, whether by car or private aircraft.

I was met at Pontarlier by French customs some years ago, I had about 30 litres of Mogas on board that I had bought fully taxed in Switzerland, I was nevertheless fined 50 Euros and charged French VAT on the quantity of fuel above 10 litres, and my name (and my father's name for some reason...!) put on record in case of further 'infraction importante'.

Incidentally if travelling by car there are stricter rules for carrying fuel by ferry or in the tunnel.[/quote]

But Windjammer says his Lockers are 20lts , not Cans . :wink: