Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
First post here so here goes..!

I've recently got my PPL and as well as the usual $100 hamburger and sightseeing type flying I'd like to get out and about and, umm, "explore".

Imagine a 7-10 day trip, flying an hour or so per day (100miles ish max), no more, then camping under the wing or B&Bing it for the night...that sort of thing. Grass strips, campfires, following roads, keeping it simple stupid.

So, does anyone have any ideas about suitable airstrips, likely routes, must-see's or the like?

Or am I being a hopeless romantic :lol:

Joe

*Edited to add - this would be in my own aircraft*
Last edited by JoeHodgy on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you own your own aircraft or join a group then such a trip around the UK would be relatively easy, Lockyears farm strip guide may prove helpful
By ChampChump
It seems from here as if you have exactly the right idea!

So many different places to see - there'll be umpteen suggestions in no time. The only downside I can see is making the weather take the same week you do. If you've been the the LAA Rally, you'll know that camping under the wing is far from dead (and a certain group of microlighters 'enjoy' some sub zero camping in the winter).

Route is limited only by your fuel endurance. Many places will allow camping, if asked. Scotland is bound to get a mention. The east coast is pretty good, in my view, not to mention the west country, in the south east, there's oodles of history close to airfields and strips...

If I was plotting such a week, I think I'd try to get a mix of places, so there would be some aviation history to see, some particularly fascinating coastline, some country walks and so on.

I'm not going to get more specific, though, as it's all so personal as to what appeals. Or indeed, whether you like to walk to a B&B or have to have a taxi, what level of roughing it is acceptable when camping and what constitutes simple...(ctd p94).

Have fun. :thumleft:
By cockney steve
I was 20 when I eventually sat the car-test (and passed) Company immediately took advantage of my footloose status and I rapidly explored the UK at their expense. drove the delivery-van, Southend, Essex, to Edinburgh.....a huge adventure and an amazing learning-curve about the variations in our wonderfully variegated country. It astounds me, how many rush to Spain, Greece, Italy and other exotica on their annual holiday.....been to Torquay? Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight,to make your own coloured-sands ornament? Seen the Cotswold stone houses, the flint Suffolk ones, the Yorkshire Gritstone ones?
I soon graduated to a Company car and toured the whole country, Wick to Plymouth, Cardiff to Cromer and all points between! as a mobile service-engineer. lived out of a suitcase, stayed in hotels, had an expense-account, brilliant life for a kid who had made a train trip to London, a day trip to Norfolk and, when I got a motorbike, went round Wales and the next year, went round Scotland....got touring maps at petrol-stations to learn the geography, -no family drivers.
Well, you get the idea. go for it! may I suggest a lightweight folding bike will enhance your pleasure enormously .
A Cessna 120 is just the right machine for what you have in mind. Also, the lightweight folding bike is a great idea.

I've done what you're planning to do both in the UK and France, and both are great, but France does feel much more light GA-freindly.

There are loads of camping freindly airfields in the UK. I would start with Sandown on the IOW(either under the wing or in the campsite over the road), Chilbolton is nice and quiet and there is a pub in the village run by Italians that does great pizza.
Further afield you could try Dunkeswell or Farway Common, and then Rock in Cornwall followed by St Maries on the Scillies.

Further North you can try Glassonby, I've been there and found them very welcoming and the flight in over the Lake District is great. Just make sure you transit the Lakes during a weekend day as it's full of fast jets during the week. At Glassonby I was given a free spot in the hangar and they were happy for me to sleep in the clubhouse but I had other accomodation so didn't need to.

Work your way up to the shorter strips, like much stuff in flying you can get coaching in short strip/farm strip technique that will get you safer sooner, but if you're sensible and build your skills & experience gradually, and read plenty of guidance/literature then you will probably be fine. I did plenty of strip flying in a Luscombe and found it to be safe and easy, and I'm sure a 120 wouldn't be much different. If you can consistently land and stop within the first 200m of any given runway then you're probably ready to take on the shorter strips.
Yep:
http://www.thepointatpolzeath.co.uk/
01208 863000
I had forgotten, the strip is actually called Roserrow, and it's about 30 minutes' walk into Rock across two golf courses.

If you go on Google and type in 'Arifields near [town of your choice]' you will get a result from the UKGA website. It has a great interactive airfields map. If yu browse to it from the root of the UKGA website you are made to sign up before you're allowed to use it, but if you use the google way in described above, you don't have to.
reimomo, november romeo liked this
I'm based at Kingsmuir, which is in Fife , east of Edinburgh 4 miles south of Leuchars, 620 metres grass.
If you get this far north give me PM.
Camping under wings wouldn't be a problem.
Empty, unmanned clubhouse with DIY facilities, including shower, toilets and kitchen.
No fuel on site, (Perth, Fife Glenrothes, or Dundee,) about 15/20 mins.
Good luck.
Last edited by Crash one on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.