Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Sounds like you have got the right idea, and others contributing to this thread !

We've done this for last few years in our Luscombe...... careful planning for weight and balance ( good quality lightweight camping gear is a must ) As long a s water is available where you camp for cooking/ washing / getting bugs off the windscreen. Strangely enough the hardest decision is often over footware as not much storage room for selection and I like to fly taildraggers in lightweight shoes, so walking in local area at destination airfields can be limited . OS Maps app on a tablet is also a good idea, and planning for pubs / food etc is best done beforehand as we found that plenty of airstrips have mobile network black holes !
Key thing to bear in mind with "under the wing" is facilities - Showers, after-hours toilets, etc - unless you're ok with being a grub for a few days :)

I'm a fan of camping at Shobdon. Beautiful part of the world and the campsite is on the airfield with decent caravan and camping facilities - We generally camp when we go to the air race there every year. Airfield bar is open late on Friday nights for their weekly open mic if that's your sort of thing.

It's a long way in a 120 if you're a southerner, but we're going to check out Glenforsa on Isle of Mull next month. They let you camp and use the hotel showers etc for a tenner, I believe. No fuel, so refuel at Oban.
Brilliant advice guys, thank you!

The lack of ablutions/facilities at your typical GA strip was something that completely slipped my mind...to those people saying that France is "better" in this regard...how do their grass strips etc compare?

I'm imagining there are more airfields with dedicated campsites and associated amenities than we have, would that be accurate?

The lack of a shower wouldn't put me off as such - just something to plan around :thumright:

Thanks again, Joe
Yeah, can live without a shower for a night or two but waking up at 2am after a bad curry can be awkward without after-hours facilities...

In terms of French airfields, there are a lot of fans of Quiberon on this forum. Campsite across the road, sunbathing under short final, and great seafood
Rob P, mick w liked this
Forgetting the campsite (spit) for a moment and heading for AirBnB, Quiberon gets my vote.

Stand in your shower with the water on cold, wrap yourself up in a dustsheet, sleep in your own garden for part of a night.

Once that's out of your system get in the aeroplane and do some civilised touring.

Rob P
ArthurG, Maxthelion, neilmurg and 1 others liked this
By townleyc
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Forgetting the campsite (spit) for a moment and heading for AirBnB, Quiberon gets my vote.

Stand in your shower with the water on cold, wrap yourself up in a dustsheet, sleep in your own garden for part of a night.

Once that's out of your system get in the aeroplane and do some civilised touring.

Rob P

What a ridiculous comment.

Camping may not be for you, and probably not me, but many find it a convenient way to tour.

Live and let live!

KE
Nick, Clive liked this
I'm very sympathetic to Rob's point of view on camping. I'm a very light sleeper and have recently found that if I can find a nearby B&B then I get a better night's sleep. I've not had a bad experience yet using AirB&B. However, this would be a faff at times.

A good way to go would be Abbeville in Northern France, as the on-arifield hotel & restaurant is very good. The rooms look a little basic but the food is excellent, and you can't beat a real bed that's actually on the airfield.
Scotland. I've done a couple of trips such as you're contemplating. Perth, Oban, Glenforsa, Plockton, Skye, Gigha, the Great Glen etc. Mix of tent and B&B/pub. Stunning scenery and a distinct lack of French food. :) You did specify UK after all.
Continuing the Scotland theme, farther north you have Glendoe, Easterton, Shempston, Easter, Dornoch and Lamb Holm in Orkney. All of them are grass and I think you would have no difficulty camping at any of them. Weather aside, fuel is the problem, though if you are OK with mogas I'd expect you could recruit local assistance in that regard, though I'm not sure about Glendoe in that regard.

And if you fancy a beach landing and don't mind there being no facilities, at all, there's Sollas on North Uist. There is the annual fly in there on 15th - 16th July when there will be food and perhaps limited fuel available.
townleyc wrote:Live and let live!

Indeed, a means to an end. My life would certainly have been less fulfilling had camping not facilitated the many, many special experiences I've enjoyed. Anyone can step out the car/aeroplane, cross the road, and ring the bell at reception. :wink:

Example: :D :D
nallen liked this
Discovered another " Camping within a few minutes walk from Airfield " site over this last weekend. Henstridge , as there is a very welcoming campsite at the Golf course which is literally just off the threshold of 07 . 10 mins walk from the aircraft parking. Shower / Toilet and importantly , a Bar !
Sandown has Ninhams just across the road ( which also has open air swimming pool ) and Perranporth also has delightful campsite ( Blue Hills) a few minutes along the peri-track from the aircraft parking and already mentioned Shobdon with on airfield camping and facilities.
Cromer is also a favourite on airfield campsite, as is Skegness (lovely airfield .....town , well maybe no so ! )