Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Brad2523
Thanks all for your replies, the drop box link is mega handy and I love the checklist at the end... Exactly what I was after, thank you.

Flying out with more experienced group members this Saturday, so i will take the list and check it off as we go with them showing me how they have done it all...!

Really excited :D
Dave W liked this
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
(Assume you mean the UK numbers). Pretty sure it was from a posting on here, I think from a NATS affiliated person posting privately.

If I am remembering correctly, there was a link to an official document (Otherwise I doubt I'd have used them), but sadly I didn't record my source references.

Edit: You've got me pondering with that question. I wonder - given there is no requirement to actively 'close' a flightplan in the UK - whether I should delete those numbers entirely (but I don't know if they are obsolete or not) and replace with the AFPEx Helpdesk number instead: 0845 601 0483. (As given in CAP 694)

What does the audience think?

Regardless, I note that the Helpdesk number is not currently in my document, and it really should be.

Further Edit: On a trip into France & Germany earlier this month, I had a problem with both the "old" and "new" France Flightplan phone numbers and asked here if anybody else had an issue. There wasn't a response, so I'm not sure if it was just me, or nobody reading that had had an issue - possibly because the tower at their destination closed their FPL for them.

If anybody can give their post-Nov 2016 experiences one way or the other, I'd be grateful.
By Grumpy One
Dave - The only number I've got was one displayed on the Calais entrance door (I think)
It was for closing ones flight plan if the tower was closed.
I copied down it not that long ago, and I'm sure I used it not that long ago:-
+33 55 7926084

I've just found another one entitled, "France - Close FLP",
hidden deeply within the gizzards of my phone :-
+33 156301301
Can't remember ever using it though.
By patowalker
I have no post Nov. experience, but hope to remedy that very soon. You might want to replace the old number with the new in your "Want going foreign info?" doc.

I would also recommend including the pilot's mobile number in the Remarks box of the FPL, because that way when you call to close the FPL in France the system recognises it and the operator will ask "Has G-ABCD landed safely at wherever? or similar.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/assistancebria
By Dave W
Thanks, chaps.

@Grumpy One, the Calais door number you have is a strange one: According to Wikipedia "+33 55..." is apparently not a French phone number format- I wonder what it is? The 0156301301 number is the one that was supposed to come into play in November but which didn't work for me a couple of weeks ago.

@patowalker, good thinking on the pilot's mobile number. I'll add that. I actually do that myself, and SkyDemon (for example) encourages it by asking for a mobile number at setup and then automatically including it in the FPL submission. Edit: Re-reading my document, I see that I do already suggest this for Field 18 of the FPL (in the Notes page after the FPL example).

I don't yet want to change the "old" French FPL number to the "new" one for 2 reasons - the second of which is the main one.

Firstly: The "new" number did not work for me in early April (but then, neither did the "old" one!), and;
Secondly: The "old" number is still given as the one to be used in the relevant section of the French AIP, which was last updated in March 2017 and unchanged. (Although I do note that the "new" number is clearly identified in the SIA "Assistance BRIA" web link that you posted).
By Lefty
Dave W wrote:Excellent, thank you: That AIC trumps the AIP of course - I'll change the document.

Would be good if you could let us know when the updated version is available. Ta.
By Dave W
Lefty wrote:Would be good if you could let us know when the updated version is available. Ta.

It's now done and in my Signature Block as v4.51.
Edit: Now updated to v4.51 to incorporate @alex calais LFAC confirmation of alternative number for BRIA Bordeaux. :thumleft:
Direct link here, also.

I've left the UK flightplan phone numbers in for now, and also added the 24 hour AFPEx Helpline number as well. Additionally I've put a few other bits and pieces on a new "Further Hints & Tips" page.
Last edited by Dave W on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By GolfHotel
Dave W wrote:
I've left the UK flightplan phone numbers in for now, and also added the 24 hour AFPEx Helpline number as well. Additionally I've put a few other bits and pieces on a new "Further Hints & Tips" page.

Dave

Thanks for doing this. I find it quite handy even though I've done it a few times your doc is a good aid memoir.

I'm off to murder the French lingo while trying to land at a few French only fields. I tried to download your knee board cheat sheet to be told by Dropbox that it has moved. Any chance of an update or what ever is needed.

Ta Muchly
By alex calais LFAC
Hello

To close your IFR/VFR flight plan, by day, in France: +33 (0) 55 7926084 is the right number!
If you call from a French phone, it's 0557926084 =BRIA Bordeaux (Regional Information and Fligth Assistance Office of Bordeaux). The number I call when I close your flight plan from my office :)
They need the plane call number (G-BEST) and Hour of landing.

It is the same phone number for the whole country of France when the control tower/AFIS does not close it (by Day).

If it is night and/or VFR, it's better to call the 01.56.301.301
Telephone platform (with English version inside) which refers to the good BRIA of the airfield of landing.

For visitors to Calais; good news! The new owner of restaurant will be open next Tuesday. :thumleft: .

and a visual small surprise waiting for you :cyclopsani: :mrgreen:
Boxkite, ChampChump, Dave W and 2 others liked this