Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:...
- UTC is mandatory. EASA FCL and the ANO are quite clear on that.

I wonder how many know that. I've flown for 20+ years, have A, G and H and I didn't know. Just last week a very experienced instructor signed an entry in my log book which had BST times and he didn't comment.

Now I have to decide if I should change my practice of using local times or remain a recidivist. :?:
Last edited by MercianMarcus on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actually, one could be really picky and note that EASA-FCL says...

column 2 or 3: enter the place of departure and destination either in full or the internationally recognised three or four letter designator. All times should be in UTC;

Note the use of the word "should", rather than "must". So it's highly recommended, rather than strictly mandatory.

And slightly contradictory to what I said earlier - I can see nothing in the ANO at-all about what times to log, and FAA regulations only require flight time to be logged, not departure and arrival times anyhow.

I think that you're safe. But I've been logging UTC for 28 years and don't plan on changing now! The question is do I leave out "(UTC)" and I can write it in, or leave it in and you can cross it out! I think that I prefer to leave it in, as most of us do default to UTC, and it is the EASA FCL preference.

G
MercianMarcus liked this
Approaches. Some (including me) might use it, others can ignore it. Might be pointless as we can always put that in the remarks column. I could remove the "A" and have another blank column for anything anybody wants to use it for? Or just have T and L?

All opinions on a virtual postcard!

G
I am returning to this project - as I said before, I want it for me, but I'm very happy to share.

For those who don't want to read back to the start of the thread, I'm on a mission to design the perfect general aviation pilots logbook. I'm just about happy with it now. The idea is that it can be good for absolutely any kind of flying you do without any mucking about with crossing outs or tippex. My ambition is to have one for me, in my hand, after Christmas (as my present Pooleys Commercial logbook hasn't enough space for 2018!).

These are the pages as I currently have them: my plan is 210mm square, hard cloth bound (I quite like burgundy), 24 flights per page, and I'm thinking 120 double pages, a few pages in the front for name/address/licence numbers, etc. 100gsm (reasonably heavy weight) paper. Copy the regs on keeping logbooks with a bit of explanation into the back.

So basically good for around 2,500 flying hours, with up to 12 categories of flying recorded (whatever mix of microlights, aeroplanes, gliders, day/night/IFR, PiC/PuT, etc. fits your flying profile).

My preference is to do it in burgundy cloth hardback, a single line of silver print on the front with something like "Aircrew Logbook". I could knock off about a quid without the silver print on the front, but don't think I would.

Looks like I could get these printed and delivered to me for somewhere in the range £14-£28 each depending upon how many I order. If at least 6 people want one, then definitely under £20 each.

If I could I'd try and do it "print on demand" via Amazon but that doesn't seem feasible. Basically the printers doing the cloth/hardback/square combination I want will only do it in batches, not ones. However, hardly the end of the world.

Does anybody think they'd like one if I get some printed?

G
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Love the idea - but I went fully electronic a few years back so not interested in the book sadly. That said, how about adding some pages for differences training to be recorded - date, difference, instructor, aircraft, and date of renewal (if any). Possibly it could be combined with the ratings pages to have all of your expiry dates and qualifications in one place.
Good work and a nice* result!

[proff readre]
It's convention (here inter alia) to use apostrophes to indicate contractions (don't etc) and a single stop to indicate a truncated word; although this is often omitted (eg and here) in common abbreviations (Dr, Mr etc).

So, personally, I'd use Reg. Dep. and Arr. or Reg Dep & Arr dependent on context.

Although Arrival fits, Arr(.) adds some consistency and a balanced look.
[/prof redare]

* minute, fine, or subtle.
Genghis the Engineer wrote:Note the use of the word "should", rather than "must". So it's highly recommended, rather than strictly mandatory...

Correct, not mandatory, but the word "should" is not used in this phrase to indicate its reduced obligation; it's used precisely and intentionally in all AMC because AMC is not legislative, and this quote comes from AMC1 FCL.050.

EASA do not (and the legislator cannot) mandate anything that is a means of compliance with, but is not not per se, a rule.

The rule (FCL.050) states "The pilot shall keep a reliable record ... in a form ... established by the competent authority." The AMC goes on to describe what you "should" do to achieve the Acceptable Means of complying with that rule.

But one may chose to demonstrate compliance with that rule from first principles, ie prove to the competent authority how you comply; Alternatively, one may chose to show compliance using other means (guess what they're called? :D )

However, should you follow the Acceptable Means of Compliance, there is an automatic presumption of compliance with the regulation.

So the law (rule, reg etc) is worded "shall, must, is to" etc; whereas the AMC is worded "should", which is what you will do if you use this means to comply (and most, but not all, do).

P