Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Response:
The FAA has clarified that the FAA Medical Class III is in fact a valid ICAO class II license and will be taking steps to clarify this situation with the UK CAA.

G-BLEW wrote:- If the people at the DfT and those deciding on medical stuff have a role in reformulation I think we'll be screwed.

Looks as if no-one (AOPA or CAA, etc) is presenting the correct view to the DfT.

As with most things FAA, AOPA UK don't seem interested or is that just my view.

Ian. Any chance you can update your own forum with what you are doing for PPL/IR?
Bob Upanddown wrote:Ian. Any chance you can update your own forum with what you are doing for PPL/IR?

I am a PPL/IR member, but I am not doing anything on their behalf regarding this mess although I believe others are.

With my magazine hat on I have spoken to Craig Spence at AOPA US, I have a statement from the FAA's press office, I have written to Grant Shapps (busy doing that democracy thing), tried to engage with the DfT (referred me back to the CAA) and tried to get a statement from the CAA (silence). It's the subject of my next column in the mag (due out in a week).

I believe the CAA/DfT has deliberately applied a more complicated solution when an easy one was staring them in the face, and I believe there's been a deliberate misinterpretation of the FAA's medical by someone in the CAA.

Ian
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
This from the man at the CAA:

<Quote>It is not so much the FAA PPL, but the use of a Class 3 Medical by the FAA which would appear to be in non-compliance with the ICAO Convention. On review of the FAA Medical certificate, there would appear to be an admission that it may not be seen as compliant by the FAA, therefore it warns holders that its use may not be accepted outside the territorial boundaries of the United States and refers to the Aeronautical Information Publication of the United States of America.

We are currently trying to obtain further detailed information from the FAA concerning their Medicals standards, to enable us to consider any leeway that we may be able to use.

We regret that we are reliant on the speed of the FAA to reply to the CAA, before any further decision can be taken.</Quote>
By EddieHeli
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Grelly wrote: [quote=from CAA]We are currently trying to obtain further detailed information from the FAA concerning their Medicals standards
[/quote]
I am surprised that this wasn't done when we joined JAA and dropped the UK class 3 medical, I can't believe this is the first time this has come up since then.
johnm wrote:- there are still dinosaurs lurking in the CAA and there's no cause for complacency.

I think that most of the old guard at the CAA have retired or moved to EASA taking their knowledge and experience with them.

When I retired as an engineer, the problem was that the CAA had not replaced the knowledge and experience that had been lost (part of the CEO’s drive to make the business efficient and profitable). So we end up with inexperienced (non-aviation?) people making tweaks to regulations without understanding the implications.

There are a few of the old guard left and I believe they are holding the whole thing together in the face of performance targets.

I would be interested to see your article if this is a move to ground the N registered fleet.
By Irv Lee
I have had two different (worried) pilots tonight contact me saying the CAA has told them not to fly their g reg annex two permit aircraft as their FAA licences are not icao compliant (presumably due to having FAA class 3 medicals). Article 150 which nominally gives the pilots the right to do so does have the rider of wording along the lines of "unless the CAA say otherwise" and apparently, they have done.
By Irv Lee
Another strange thing concerning the 2 guys (above) told to stop flying annex 2 on their current faa paperwork and being told to fill in form 2140. This form contains a declaration that they have not had a validation suspended. Well if they haven't, then why are they filling in the form? And if they have had their validation under article 150 suspended until they fill in 2140,, how can they sign to say that they haven't?
By johnm
Since MPs are non-existent at the moment is it time for an email and phone call blitz on the DFT .

the message is very simple "tell the CAA to stop being idiots on the following topics"