Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Do the CAA allow you fly an N reg in the UK on an LAPL?

Yes

It took AOPA, CAA and LAA several years to squeeze a response out of the FAA on this. You may also use an NPPL in the UK.

Use of a non-FAA licence to fly an N-reg aeroplane in EU airspace is permitted only where an individual Member State allows this within its own airspace. We (I) have been trying for simpler cross-border acceptance for quite some time now, but as the FAA will only recognise individual nations rather than the EU as a single 'entity', the EASA view is that it's up to the FAA to change its attitude and to agree that 'accepted by one' means 'accepted by all'. So don't hold your breath...

There is no question of anyone 'forcing' the CAA to reconsider the FAA Class 3 situation - they know only too well that there is a significant problem at present.

If you don't like my 'temporary LAPL-level privileges' proposal, which does NOT mean issue of any new licence, then the alternative is to be grounded until a formal revision of the BASA and the CAA/FAA medical situation is resolved. Personally I would have thought that something was better than nothing. Your choice....
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The CAA/DfT should have just carried on the exemption as others have done; the current situation is the result of some gold-plating and posturing, serving no purpose, inconveniencing many.

To suggest that temporary LAPL privileges are 'good enough' is missing the point completely and it is a shame that you/AOPA seem to be happy to acquiesce to that.
By glazer
Your suggestion of allowing us to fly in the UK with the current FAA licence but with LAPL privileges is a temporary fix but as I understand it he CAA has not yet agreed to it. My other point is that if the CAA were to agree to this then why can they not go the whole hog and accept the FAA class 3 medical? After all if they can modify the provisions in one area why not the other?
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
glazer wrote:But at the moment we cannot fly Ref on an LAPL in the UK.

You can, with an LAPL medical. Also on a UK national PPL (pre-JAA - do you have one of those already? If you had a licence issued before 1999?). Also on an NPPL.

glazer wrote:Furthermore my FAA licence is based on my having an EASA licence, not LAPL. So if I change to LAPL I lose my EASA CAA licence and thus my FAA privileges.

Ah, you have a "based on" licence and an FAA Class 3? Ok, I'm not going to go there, that's perhaps another topic of discussion! :D

So then the answer is a pre-JAA PPL or an NPPL. You can use a medical self certification with the prior. I would expect you can with the latter as well, is this the case?

If you don't have a UK national pre-JAA PPL, you can apply for one from the CAA on the back of your EASA licence. The medical declaration is an on-line form. I'm not sure the process to apply for an NPPL.

The pre-JAA licence I think is currently restricted to LAPL privileges and the NPPL to NPPL privileges. Not sure what the difference is. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think (legally ;-) ) you'll be restricted to VFR in the UK. What was the situation allowing an IMC rating to be used with an LAPL? :D

Irv Lee wrote:If we are talking of unburdening from unnecessary legislation, I would have thought (and hoped) that there were far more UK members wanting aopa UK to consider moving the April 2018 date for the end of UK licences in EASA aircraft at least in UK airspace as "this is the one".

Yes.

But that would probably require more effort. On the face of it, all that has to be done for the FAA Class 3 thing is to prove to the DfT that it meets ICAO classification as a Class 2...
By glazer
Also on a UK national PPL (pre-JAA - do you have one of those already? If you had a licence issued before 1999?). Also on an NPPL.

No I converted my UK ppl to an EASA licence a few years ago

If you don't have a UK national pre-JAA PPL, you can apply for one from the CAA on the back of your EASA licence. The medical declaration is an on-line form. I'm not sure the process to apply for an NPPL.

I cannot get the CAA to accept my medical whereas I can with the FAA. So I would not be able to apply for a UK preJAA PPL.

By Paul_Sengupta
glazer wrote:No I converted my UK ppl to an EASA licence a few years ago

You don't actually "convert" it, you get an EASA licence on the back of the UK one. The UK one will still be valid. You just need to get your SEP rating put (back) on it. If you never had a pre-JAA PPL and only a JAA one then that's become an EASA one and you'll have to apply for a UK PPL, but if you had to "convert" then I assume you have a pre-JAA UK PPL which will still be valid in parallel with your EASA licence.

You don't need a Class 2.

Medical information here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/News/Changes-to-private-pilot-medical-requirements-announced/

http://www.caa.co.uk/General-Aviation/Pilot-licences/Medical-requirements/Medical-requirements-for-private-pilots/

https://apply.caa.co.uk/CAAPortal/terms-and-conditions.htm?formCode=PMD

Actually, reading that middle link, it says:

Flying Non-EASA aircraft with a UK-issued EU Part-FCL PPL or LAPL

A pilot with a UK-issued EU Part-FCL PPL or LAPL may fly Non-EASA aircraft within UK airspace in conjunction with this declaration.

So you can use your EASA licence as well. :D
By patowalker
nickwilcock wrote:Do the CAA allow you fly an N reg in the UK on an LAPL?

Yes

It took AOPA, CAA and LAA several years to squeeze a response out of the FAA on this. You may also use an NPPL in the UK.

Use of a non-FAA licence to fly an N-reg aeroplane in EU airspace is permitted only where an individual Member State allows this within its own airspace.

I have an FAA licence (with a Class 3) and a LAPL. To fly an N reg on my LAPL, I would not rely solely on authorisation from the CAA, but want to see evidence that the FAA also agrees. Where can I find a copy of the response from the FAA?
I have an FAA licence (with a Class 3) and a LAPL. To fly an N reg on my LAPL, I would not rely solely on authorisation from the CAA, but want to see evidence that the FAA also agrees. Where can I find a copy of the response from the FAA?

Is this not a bit of overthinking?

- You would be flying your N reg on your FAA certificate with your class 3 medical. The FAA is entirely happy with this and always has been. It's only the CAA that has the problem.
- The UK CAA currently believes the FAA's class 3 to be sub ICAO (let's hope it reviews that decision soon, but for the purpose of this post let's imagine things are with the intransigent heel digging department, staffed entirely by those made redundant from the old gold-plating room)
- Nick Wilcock has proposed that the CAA agree that the US class 3 is at least equivalent to the LAPL medical
- If the CAA agrees this then you would fly in the UK with LAPL restrictions (MAUW, no IFR). You wouldn't need an actual LAPL medical and you wouldn't need an actual LAPL because you would have your FAA class 3.

Ian
PS I can see why Nick has proposed this, but I can also see the confusion that it might cause. It would be easier for everyone for the CAA to do the right thing and just accept the FAA class 3 medical as being ICAO compliant and equivalent to an EASA class 2.
By Dodo
Paul said earlier..
Ah, you have a "based on" licence and an FAA Class 3? Ok, I'm not going to go there, that's perhaps another topic of discussion!]

So, is it legal to fly with the combination of a UK issued PPL, (but no valid class 2), a piggy-back FAA licence and an FAA class 3 medical? I thought not, but may be wrong.

I do have a piggy back licence but have never held an FAA medical.
By glazer
So, is it legal to fly with the combination of a UK issued PPL, (but no valid class 2), a piggy-back FAA licence and an FAA class 3 medical? I thought not, but may be wrong.

I do have a piggy back licence but have never held an FAA medical.

It would be if the CAA/DfT recognised the FAA Cass 3 to be equivalent to the ICAO Class 2 medical. This is what we need the CAA to agree!!