Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Bathman
And lets not forget the 6 grand I spent upgrading my BCPL to a CPL only to find out two months later that all BCPL holders would be given a CPL.

And lets not forget all those RTF's that were told that they had to become ATO by next year only to find out that the date slipped and now they are paying out 1500 quid more per year than the RTF's that did nothing.

And lets not forget all those FAA license holders that were told that they had to get EASE licenses but that dates slipped again

And lets not forget.........................,
G-JWTP, Boxkite, A le Ron and 2 others liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
peter272 wrote:... there will be a lot of owners who haven't sorted it by Jan 2018. I would guess that the CAA won't accept a mass grounding of the GA fleet - too embarrassing - so will accept an extension.

I don't see why there would be a mass grounding. There would be an increase in non-radio traffic in Class G.
By Charliesixtysix
I wonder how many aircraft are likely to be affected by any supply bottleneck and how goes the UK fleet radio upgrade now.
ie. what proportion are done and what proportion are still to be upgraded?

A couple of months ago my perception was that the aircraft still to be upgraded to 8.33 outnumbered those already done by quite some margin - but that was based purely on a sample of friends and their knowledge of local based aircraft, therefore completely unscientific and worth what I paid for it.
Presumably that balance will have shifted since then.
By Human Factor
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I wonder how many aircraft are likely to be affected by any supply bottleneck and how goes the UK fleet radio upgrade now.
ie. what proportion are done and what proportion are still to be upgraded?

Not sure how much of a bottle-neck there is. I ordered one from Harry a couple of weeks ago and it was delivered two days later. We'll get it fitted by the end of the year.
By GrahamB
I suspect the bottleneck will continue to be with installers, not suppliers of radios.

I had my NavComm 2 upgraded this time last year, and managed to get a discount on the deal.
By CloudHound
With the inducement offered by CAA to defray costs plus the dire predictions of a supply drought, I bought an 8.33 radio from Bournemouth Avionics.

I had planned to fly this summer and do the change at the end of 2017.

Having drawn on money ahead of plans, any sub from CAA will be reduced in consequence.
By ozplane
I think I understood Tony Rapson to say at the Duxford Safety Day (he was in a rush to leave) that if France, Ireland and Norway went for a delay then it would be up to the European Council to rule on it. In the meantime it's still on schedule here in UK.
By yhuubert
Bathman wrote:We been told that our supplier cannot get us a GNC225 and that the lead time on a Trig TY96 is 3 months.

Does anyone know what's the availability and lead time of TY96 currently is?
By Human Factor
yhuubert wrote:
Bathman wrote:We been told that our supplier cannot get us a GNC225 and that the lead time on a Trig TY96 is 3 months.

Does anyone know what's the availability and lead time of TY96 currently is?

I ordered one from Harry M a couple of months ago and it arrived by return of post.
yhuubert liked this
By davef77
Robin500 wrote:Anyone contemplating going non radio?

I can't long-term, you have to have a radio for flying in aerobatic competitions.

But, if I struggle to get it done in time, I will certainly practice non-radio while waiting to get it done, and if it wasn't for the competition thing I may have been tempted.