Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Can't believe someone hasn't mentioned the cafe at Sleap airfield yet.
Full varied menu, with a choice of roasts on a Sunday. (meat melts in your mouth).
Also open 7 days a week until 5pm.
It's getting very popular!

Forgot to say, the puddings are also delicious, as is the home made cake, of which there are plenty of varieties
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
And for the real foodies - there is always the airfield restaurant at Gamston. Right on the airfield with views across the ramp. Used extensively by non flyers - so reservations are essential. More than once we have dropped in looking for a bacon sandwich and been told - either fully booked - or they are only serving 3 course lunches.

No-on has mentioned Compton Abbas - or the new restaurant at Thruxton.
Both serve a really good selection of good quality basic food - but for me, Compton has the edge in terms of choice and quality (especially their deserts and cakes). :D
mick w liked this
Depends what you class as Sunday lunch...
Mrs Flyingeeza and I each chowed down big time on a generous panini and chips at Fenland on Sunday afternoon.
Sadly, about 10 minutes after we landed and paid our meagre fiver at Charlie, we were given some really bad news...the kitchen had run out of bacon, so the acclaimed bacon and brie panini would just have to wait.
But, who would have thought that their coronation chicken would be so perfect in a panini...generously filled too.
We'll be back!
mick w liked this
By AfricanEagle
Out of chorus due to distance, but I can assure everyone that the best Sunday lunch at an airfield is Sansepolcro , Tuscany, Italy.

You land, cross the perfect grass cut runway, Marcello, a noble host (a real Noble), greets you on the doorstep of his home.

Lunch is in the main dining room, number of guests depends on who has flown in.

Pasta, giant steaks, home grown vegetables, home made wine, quality grappa.

Music is live, from the piano, classical to Beatles.

Always a great pleasure.
Iceman, townleyc, Cessna57 liked this
Nuthampstead. The Woodman Inn is 5 is within 500m of the airfield and access is via a public path. The pub was a watering holing for US P-38 and B-17 crews during the war and as such is strewn with aviation related memorabilia and photos. In the car park there are two nice war memorials and next door there is a museum open every other weekend (I think). The food is excellent although it is popular and can get busy on a Sunday.
PeteSpencer liked this
By PeteSpencer
4535jacks wrote:Nuthampstead. The Woodman Inn is 5 is within 500m of the airfield and access is via a public path. The pub was a watering holing for US P-38 and B-17 crews during the war and as such is strewn with aviation related memorabilia and photos. In the car park there are two nice war memorials and next door there is a museum open every other weekend (I think). The food is excellent although it is popular and can get busy on a Sunday.

Dead easy to find too: It's the home of the BKY VOR/DME; remember them?

But watch out for loonies in sports cars screaming up and down alongside the grass......
4535jacks wrote:Nuthampstead. The Woodman Inn is 5 is within 500m of the airfield and access is via a public path. The pub was a watering holing for US P-38 and B-17 crews during the war and as such is strewn with aviation related memorabilia and photos. In the car park there are two nice war memorials and next door there is a museum open every other weekend (I think). The food is excellent although it is popular and can get busy on a Sunday.

You idiot; Flintstone was obviously trying to keep quiet about this. :twisted:
Fly into Rougham, a twenty minute max walk will bring you to the Ravenwood Hall Hotel
http://www.ravenwoodhall.co.uk/

Food is great, lovely setting and attentive staff. Here's a taster to whet your appetites.

( I have no connection to the hotel but believe strongly in recommending establishments who offer quality food in agreeable surrondings)

Sunday Lunch Menu - Ravenwood Hall

To Start…
Veloute of Celeriac & Suffolk Apples £6.25
Breast of Wood Pigeon, Black Pudding, Cassis Dressing £7.25
Goats Cheese Mousse, Tomato Salsa, Wild Rocket £7.25
Pressing of Wild Rabbit, Toasted Focaccia Bread, Apple Chutney £7.50
Ravenwood’s in House Smoked Salmon, Lemon, Capers & Brown Bread £8.25
Ham Hock Terrine, Homemade Piccalilli £7.25

Main Fare…
Roasted Sirloin of Scottish Premier Beef, Yorkshire Pudding, Red Wine & Thyme Gravy £17.95
Roasted Leg of Suffolk Lamb, Seasonal Vegetables, Rosemary & Madeira Gravy £17.50
Roast Norfolk Turkey, Seasonal Vegetables, Redcurrant Gravy £16.95
Pan Seared Calves Liver, Smoked Bacon & Parsley Mash, Tarragon Jus £14.50
Fillet of Gilthead Bream, Sorrel & Olive Croquettes, Vegetables a la Grecque £15.95
Red Onion Tarte Tatin, White Beans & Winter Truffles £12.95

To Finish….
White Chocolate & Drambuie Croissant Pudding & Cameral Sauce £6.95
Vanilla Crème Brulee, Raspberry Sorbet £6.95
Pear Frangipane Tart, Chocolate Ice Cream £6.95
Cranberry & Orange Sponge, Sauce Anglaise £6.95
3 scoops of Ravenwood’s Ice Cream £6.95
Selection of British Cheeses £7.95
served with Grapes, Celery, Biscuits

Tea & coffee
Selection of teas £2.95
Filter coffee £2.95
Cappuccino £3.50
Latte £3.50
Espresso £2.50
Double £2.95
Selection of teas £2.95
Calvados Apple Brandy Liqueur coffee £6.95
Kahula Liqueur coffee £6.95
Irish liqueur coffee £6.95
By PeteSpencer
Ravenwood Hall Hotel's more like ten minutes walk:

Food is great however: have been feeding there ever since Craig opened it 30 ish years ago.....

Can be busy lunchtime: prudent to book ahead.

Mega building works at present at A14 road junction which is closed to traffic for building works for new feeder road to local housing: Tread carefully.

Peter
By Morten
chevvron wrote:

You idiot; Flintstone was obviously trying to keep quiet about this. :twisted:

I think he has also promised a generous reward per aircraft to the shooting club next door. So keep your circuit tight and to the southeast and try not to get distracted by the local yokels. Or indeed the local Jodels :pig: