Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cub

Lots of aircraft diverting all over the place. I do wonder where this one is going and whether protestors really understand the risk of this type of disruption?
By Josh
A lot of people will just have taken plog fuel too looking at the weather. Squeaky bum time, especially for any poor RYR command trainee!
By Morten
What sort of future awaits the deportees upon their return to Nigeria? (with or without passports)?
Are these criminals, failed asylum seekers, visa holders whose visas have expired ...?
(not trying to plead their cause -I don't know their cause - just wondering...)
By Spooky
2Donkeys wrote:The details haven't been widely reported (yet), but on the face of it, it seems like a very odd decision to close the runway because three people were protesting onboard an aircraft parked on the airfield.

Presumably there was more to it than that...

Unfortunately the protestors know their rights and how to play the system. They usually lock their arms into concrete within a pipe, this is attached to the ground so they cannot be moved quickly without injury - in other words a huge compo claim due to 'police brutality' :roll:

This site gives a bit of info on what they do

http://www.eco-action.org/rr/ch12.html
By Irv Lee
Morten wrote:Are these criminals, failed asylum seekers, visa holders whose visas have expired ...?
(not trying to plead their cause -I don't know their cause - just wondering...)

last year's Stansted infringers
Nick, Maxthelion, Morten and 1 others liked this
By 2Donkeys
Spooky wrote:Unfortunately the protestors know their rights and how to play the system. They usually lock their arms into concrete within a pipe, this is attached to the ground so they cannot be moved quickly without injury - in other words a huge compo claim due to 'police brutality' :roll:

I understand that. What I don't understand is why protesters doing their thing on a remote stand near a parked aircraft should cause the airport to close its runway with all of the subsequent cost and misery.

In what way were they posing a threat to those landing and departing aircraft? I know nothing (which may well be the issue here), but I wonder whether the closure of the runway is an overreaction to make a point.
By JonathanB
Maybe it's related to them having breached security and being "airside" so there is the possibility of them relatively easily getting onto the runway?
Spooky wrote:
Unfortunately the protestors know their rights and how to play the system. They usually lock their arms into concrete within a pipe, this is attached to the ground so they cannot be moved quickly without injury - in other words a huge compo claim due to 'police brutality' :roll:

This site gives a bit of info on what they do

http://www.eco-action.org/rr/ch12.html

Personally I'd just leave them there. Post some guards around them to make sure they can't disrupt operations, and let the airport continue as normal.

A day of cold, hunger, thirst and lying in their own faeces will soon have them volunteering to move.
Paultheparaglider, DarrenL, Spooky and 12 others liked this