Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Contraelectric Propulsion Ltd tested their contra-rotating, electric propellers (manufactured by Rupert Wasey at Hercules Propellers) at Gloucester today in what is thought to be a world first. Fitted to a modified Libra sports car test rig, the tests were successful and a full trials programme will begin in due course.

It's fair to say that, until recently, I'd been vaguely aware of this and Roger Targett's Electroflight project but, over the last few weeks, I've really begun to see the potential of these emerging technologies to revolutionise GA.

72 yeas ago, a bloke by the name of Whittle was working on something equally revolutionary at Brockworth, about three miles from where the tests took place today. I'm quite chuffed that, decades on, Gloucestershire is still at the forefront of aerospace development.

Paul_Sengupta, johnm, Dave W and 6 others liked this
As children we took the .049 glow plug engine out of a crashed keil-kraft (possibly!!) plastic hurricane, mounted it on a pylon on a simple chassis and ran it as a round the pole car. PC plod was very concerned that we were using it in a car park with power lines overhead; we tried to explain that it really wasn't going to fly, but he stopped us anyway. In fairness, that was only one propellor, and a conventional tractor at that.
matspart3 wrote:...

It's fair to say that, until recently, I'd been vaguely aware of this and Roger Targett's Electroflight project but, over the last few weeks, I've really begun to see the potential of these emerging technologies to revolutionise GA.

Do you know what they are trying to achieve? What potential do you see in this?
(this is a genuine question or two. I like engineering and its potential.)
Saw that as I drove in to go flying and wondered what was going on.

Electroflight's purpose is to set a world record for electric powered flight. Very impressive little aircraft and a good team wokrking through the challenges. In need of sponsorship of course if you know anyone that could help?

Not involved by the way, just impressed on the couple of occasions I've met them and seen the airframe.
GolfHotel wrote:Do you know what they are trying to achieve? What potential do you see in this?
(this is a genuine question or two. I like engineering and its potential.)

300Hp 'engine' with the redundancy of a twin, but without the potential asymmetry, 90% efficient with full power, zero power and full reverse capability at the flick of a switch, weighing less than 100Kg. Essentially two moving parts.
Ben K liked this
rf3flyer wrote:It's not quiet, is it?

I was involved in research project about 10 years ago into a possible turbine driven contra-rotating prop system. It was very efficient - but noise was the biggie.

If you can find a way to successfully keep the noise down on a contra rotating system, then yours is future wealth and happiness.

We failed to - albeit for mostly financial and project reasons, rather than whether the task is impossible or not.

G