Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By tomshep
Exactly.

The UK doesn't like aviators and if you could afford an airfield, you wouldn't be daft enough to buy one.

If I could afford my own strip, I would turn the land over for development and buy a better 'plane!
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:airfield with planning and continuous use history for sale

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/new_future_beckons_for_north_denes_airfield_in_great_yarmouth_as_site_is_put_up_for_sale_1_4939854

its a bit short at 400mtrs on both runways but could extend to west. Unfortunately, the vendors are clearly looking for a house builder to buy it.

Its on a flood plain so there's some scepticism locally that it would be possible. Two big ex Bristow/CHC Scotia hangars going to waste, plus a purpose built mini control tower.

I'd love to see fixed wing flying from there again, as for some years it's been rotary wing only. Some nice vintage Austers and Moths would look great there, as they used to do in the 60s....
Last edited by Highland Park on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not suggesting they need an airfield to run courses (re original post) but rather if they were feeling philanthropic and wanted to do something to invest in the future of GA and buy some land to set up a new airfield then using their own asset to host events would go someway to help offset their investment which is unlikely to be recovered in the short term.

Surely if you owned an airfield, you wouldn't pay to use someone else's to host training or events?