Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Melanie Moxon
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
SkyDemon for example doesn't take up that much space, I think the base program is 100mb and the UK maps 90mb (you can add and remove maps as and when you need them too I believe). So I don't think space will be an issue if you are using it soley for navigation and NOTAMS.

If your phone has internet sharing switch that on and let the tablet access it, that way you don't have to worry about the tablet having a sim card. That gives you live weather and NOTAMS on SkyDemon.
By Paul_Sengupta
Wallboy wrote:I would rather the second generation as some of the specs are better and has a better screen also.

I just meant as a secondary/backup.

I have one 2012 Nexus, 2 working 2013 Nexus (+1 I need to fix!), 2 Asus 173s, 1 Asus 572. Oh, a couple of Chinese 5.5" phones and a Hudl 2.

Anyway, the 2013 Nexus is a little bit faster, but the 2012 is the one I use for flying...until recently I wanted to keep my 2013 at home...but then I bought another 2013 so now both live in my flight bag. The difference in screen resolution isn't noticeable with Sky Demon, but it is noticeable when looking closely at a digitised CAA map zoomed out and trying to read some of the small text.

Rob P wrote:I would say "in practice" rather than in theory. Remembering that if you did decide to use it for photographs or to write the next great flying novel you can always add a 128gb SD card anyway.

The Nexus doesn't have a slot, does it? Either of them.

But anyway, 16GB is fine unless you want to get into the realm of having multiple apps with worldwide maps on them. Even then you can fit most of that on 16GB.

Wouldn't recommend 8GB with the way apps tend to expand these days!
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:Um, do you err.. collect devices :shock:

Yeah, sort of. Got them for flying or as examples to support other people who I also got tablets for. Got most of 'em cheap from e-bay, though the Hudl 2 I got with Clubcard vouchers. :D Only one Nexus 7 2013 was bought new at full retail (though in Walmart in the US). The 2012 was a refurb, the other Nexus and Asus tablets were all second hand. The two Asus 173s were bought with a fault for a reasonably cheap price and I fixed them. I got another Asus 173 for a friend for even less, again, with the same (fixable) fault.

My latest acquisition is the Asus 572 as I wanted an Intel based tablet to try and it was either that or the 176, and the difference between the 176 and 572 is like the 2012 and 2013 Nexus (going on screen resolution), not to mention the 572 is in a nicer form. I managed to pick up the 572 for only about a tenner more than the 176s were going for. The 176 seems to go for a premium over the 173 even though they're essentially a similar spec, just with different processors.

I have some in Wales, some in Guildford, some in my flight bag...some have different apps and accounts.

I'll sell one of my 173s for £40 if anyone wants one. Pink!
I've a Hudl (music repository), Nexus 7 Generation One used for nav, Nexus 7 Generation Two bought cheap and kept as a reserve. None of them ever overheats in flight or has a wobbly operating system upgrade or requires a separate gps device. :D
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
skydriller wrote:Um, do you err.. collect devices :shock:

Yeah, sort of. ..

When you finally get rid of one or more, working or not, you might want to check with the Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park to see if they want it. My contact there some years ago, then talking about first generation of 'home PCs', said that it was amazing how fast IT hardware goes from new and exciting but expensive through boringly commonplace cheap and then obsolete back-of-shelf/drawer to rare.
[quote="mattmoxon"]

"I will state that I haven't had chance to use it in anger yet as the weather scuppered my plans on Saturday. I have a RAM windscreen and Yoke mount on order for it too "

Hi Matt,

Which RAM mount have you ordered for the Nvidia? The Nvidia tablet looks great but I'm disappointed to see that no one makes a dedicated mount for it and I'd end up having to use a 'one size fits all'. There's no problem with that of course but my OCD doesn't fit well with it. I have a very nice Brodit mount for an iPad mini 4 but I've now decided that £500 for a tablet JUST to run SD is a bit much.