Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Quick RT question:

"Tumbleweed approach, G-ABCD request traffic service"
"G-ABCD squawk 1234 and stand-by"

Does one read back the 1234, or does one remain silent?

Clearly the controller doesn't want you to pass your details at that moment in time - but the squawk is an instruction requiring read-back if I've understood correct?

Seemed to be about 40:40 split today, plus 20% just blabbering into their details anyway.
By rikur_
chevvron wrote:'G-CD squawking 1234' then belt up.
A transponder code MUST be read back irrespective of the 'stand by' instruction.

which is what I said fortunately :-) .... albeit technically shouldn't it be "G-ABCD squawking 1234" .... as
"A pilot may only abbreviate the callsign of his aircraft if it has first been abbreviated by the aeronautical station"
</pedant>
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Talkdownman wrote:
rikur_ wrote:"G-ABCD squawk 1234 and stand-by"

Shoddy comms.

It means "repeat all, or the specifed part, of this message back to me exactly as received" and is then contradicted by "wait and I will call you."

Just can't get the staff these days....

Yes, that was what I hoped the correct answer would be.
By T67M
This exchange reminds me of a flight I had many years ago when I was flying southbound in Class-G near the QE2 Bridge. This was many years before Farnborough East, so having passed Stapleford, I tuned to Thames Radar to hear them passing traffic information and rapid-fire deconfliction instructions to an airliner just airborne from City Airport. The reported position of the traffic sounded very much like my location, so I called them to be met with a very abrupt "Standby". So I did. A few minutes later:

Thames: "Er... the aircraft calling that I told to standby... are you still on frequency?"
Me: "Affirm, G-ABCD."
Thames: "G-CD, pass your message"
Me: "G-CD I think I was your traffic, now approaching Sevenoaks and about to QSY."
Thames: "Ah.... thanks..."
shuttle liked this
rikur_ wrote:On Friday I was greater with "station calling tumbleweed, say again your callsign and standby"
I think they're just having a laugh now.

No that's logical; he then writes your callsign on a blank strip so he can get back to you when he's able to.
By rikur_
chevvron wrote:
rikur_ wrote:On Friday I was greater with "station calling tumbleweed, say again your callsign and standby"
I think they're just having a laugh now.

No that's logical; he then writes your callsign on a blank strip so he can get back to you when he's able to.

It was more the superfluous need to suffix with 'and standby' .... shouldn't that be implicit unless asked to do something else?
I presume the underlying issue is with pilots launching into babbling their details without being asked to pass their details, that these controllers now feels the need to suffix everything with 'and standby'.