Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By GAFlyer4Fun
Fair to say we all have our preferences for different aircraft types just like in many other aspects of life. Variety is the spice of life and keeps it interesting. Life would be very boring if every car was identical in shape, colour, performance just as it would for aircraft, boats, houses,....

Last October I took a London taxi (black cab) driver friend for his first GA flight in a humble but tidy looking (inside and out) PA28. As he was running quite late on the day that reduced the destination options so I re-planned a return flight to Kemble (and if he had been much later he would have got a sightseeing bimble as he needed to be back in time to collect his kids from school). Although he was nervous, I kept him occupied talking and pointing out places etc. He enjoyed the whole experience. Not seen him about for a couple of months, until last night in the local pub. He instantly started talking about that flight and was still very excited about it and very thankful and appreciative and would like to fly again. If his circumstances were a little different, I dare say with that level of enthusiasm he would probably learn to fly. (Unfortunately he had a medical issue so his situation changed and he is still trying to get his driving licence back).

I also dare say his experience of GA flying would have been quite different if the aircraft had a tatty interior, tatty paint and not cleaned for months.

He is also against the Fairoaks Garden Village.
kanga, Dave W liked this
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dave W wrote:Click on the 3 little squares in the middle of the lower edge of the post window.

Tried that - nothing happened.
By kanga
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:.. I took a London taxi (black cab) driver friend for his first GA flight ..last night in the local pub. He instantly started talking about that flight and was still very excited about it and very thankful and appreciative and would like to fly again...

He is also against the Fairoaks Garden Village.

ISTR that Fairoaks is/was the home of the London Transport Flying Club, most of whose members were (at least initially) 'bus drivers, conductors, and mechanics. When I was flying from there (early '70s) they were operating very basic Condors non-radio from the then all-grass, 2-runway field. I was renting from a FC with C150s/C172s, and a relatively posh clubhouse; I'm sure some members thought themselves thereby superior to the LTFC crowd :roll:
By Chris Martyr
kanga wrote: I'm sure some members thought themselves thereby superior to the LTFC crowd :roll:

Kanga old chum,
You mean that well known pilot affliction. Superiority ?
Oh well , at least you've brought this thread right back onto topic . :D
kanga, Nick liked this
By JoeC
If it's got wings and is safe and legal, fly it.

If you don't like it ignore it. Don't knock it.

Some people like "Old and Classic" some don't.

Some don't like modern. Some don't.

What a boring old world it would be if we all had to fly DA 20's.

Nick.

Absolutely. And some people need to make others feel small so that they feel big.
Dave W, Nick, Moli and 3 others liked this
Nick wrote:If it's got wings and is safe and legal, fly it.

If you don't like it ignore it. Don't knock it.

Some people like "Old and Classic" some don't.

Some don't like modern. Some don't.

What a boring old world it would be if we all had to fly DA 20's.

Nick.

Don't pay any attention to Nick. He has absolutely no taste or discernment whatsoever. I've taken him up in a flexwing, and yet he still chooses to fly a Eurofox. Granted, it is a very pretty one, but how anyone can want to fly anything else after such an exciting experience is beyond me. :wink:

PS It did occur to me that all those Cessnas on their backs might be nature's way of reminding everyone the low wing PA38 is the better primary trainer. :twisted:

Paul X.
Rob P, Nick liked this
By UpThere
Paultheparaglider wrote:It did occur to me that all those Cessnas on their backs might be nature's way of reminding everyone the low wing PA38 is the better primary trainer. :twisted: Paul X.

A few years ago, I saw two Diamond DA40s on their backs at Gamston, after a storm, so low wing aircraft aren't immune to gales.