Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By lobstaboy
Dave W wrote:
As for simply going around D206, PeteSpencer's post is food for thought on that subject. It is fairly simple, but as he points out it does require thought and planning.

So: Cessna57's question was perfectly valid - commendable, in fact, IMO - and there's no reason to even appear to be snarky.

I was kind of thinking that a simple dogleg done visually would be adequate. It's what I do. Pete's remarks are generic to flights in that area, whether or not you're trying to avoid Cardington and need to be part of your preflight planning in any case.

My snarky sounding bit was down to laziness. Not intended, sorry. Agreed the OP was perfectly sensible question
Dave W liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In fact, because the sheds are so visible, they make a good waypoint, as long as you then give them (or, strictly speaking, the met office balloon launching site about half a mile to their south...) a wide berth, you are fine.
It's one of my 'take newbies out for a flight' trips - returning from Duxford to Elstree via Cardington also throws in a transit of Luton which newbies tend to enjoy. Now that Airlander should be returning outside, it'll make it more special still...

Morten
By Bobcro
Why would you want to fly over it. It's got a radius of 1nm and two very large sheds on it so it's easy to see, Just dentifrice it and preferably fly to the South of it at it keeps you clear of Cranfield. Be aware of the Stewartby VRP that is a few miles to the West and traffic could be routing towards it.

Listen out on the Cranfield frequency to see if there is traffic about, they are a friendly bunch of Controllers.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Bobcro
Bobcro wrote:Why would you want to fly over it. It's got a radius of 1nm and two very large sheds on it so it's easy to see, Just identify it and preferably fly to the South of it at it keeps you clear of Cranfield.

Be aware of the Stewartby VRP that is a few miles to the West and traffic could be routing towards it.

Listen out on the Cranfield frequency to see if there is traffic about, they are a friendly bunch of Controllers.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
chevvron wrote:Although SD is taken as being authoritative by many of you, the only 'official' source of info about the DA is from the AIP or NOTAMS.
Bit like many of you trust info pushed out by Jeppesen and the UK Flight Safety Committee takes a dfferent view as they pointed out to me once that nobody regulates Jeppesen info.

You are very out of date with statements like that. SD and others received a NATS Compliance Mark to confirm that they source their data via an EAD data feed which is exactly the same feed that AIS source their data from, having contributed some of it in the first place. Therefore the data depicted in SD is just as 'official' as the AIP or NOTAMS and comes from exactly the same source.

The UKFSC statement almost certainly related to the provision of VFR data and the lack of comprehensive or appropriate data to support VFR flight. I would think any published suggestion that their regulated IFR products were not fit for purpose would certainly attract the attention of their lawyers if not the regulator.
flyingeeza, ianfallon, shuttle and 4 others liked this
By neaton
Morten wrote:In fact, because the sheds are so visible, they make a good waypoint

Do they ever! Between them, the Sandy transmitter, the Bedford swimming pool, The A1 and a very tall recognisable white building in Flitwick the job of an instructor at Henlow must be quite frustrating.

"So" <knowing smile> "where are we NOW?".

"Umm... Here" <points at chart>

"Oh..." :lol: