Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By wigglyamp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Garmin have received EASA validation for their Part 23/27 ADS-B OUT STC for the GTX335/345 transponders. Additional good news is that the STC also covers legacy GTX33/330 versions when upgraded to the ES variety. So you can have a fully-compliant ADS-B out system visible to all and no certification fees!
Cub liked this
By wigglyamp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
330 goes to Garmin for upgrade to an ES - cost about $1300. Add an RS232 data cable between an existing GNS-W or GTN to the transponder. If needed upgrade the GNS-W software to correct level to get ADSB+ enabled for the RS232 output (done in-situ). Refit the transponder and do the configuration and ground test.
For aircraft that have a non-WAAS GNS, this can also be upgraded to W via a Gama STC that also gives LPV approval.
wigglyamp wrote:Garmin have received EASA validation for their Part 23/27 ADS-B OUT STC for the GTX335/345 transponders. So you can have a fully-compliant ADS-B out system visible to all and no certification fees!

Tiz good news and a step forward.
Do you have any info if the Bendix KT74 will get the same treatment, as at the moment it appears I've backed the wrong horse :oops:

Thanks,
SL
GrahamB wrote:Surely the KT74 is already approved to an ETSO for ADS-B out?

Hi Graham,
I don't know, but was a surprise when our avionics installer said he can't enable the ADS-B because the KT74 hasn't the necessary paperwork / STC/ approval. The GPS source is a GTN650 in CofA aircraft. It's all wired up ready to go apart from needing a piece of paper.
Trying to find the relevant information is difficult enough and even if I could, I doubt if the average PPL could make any sense of it.
It's all a bit of a fuddle :?

SL
AIUI the issue is not the transponder's approval for doing the ADS-B out, but that the specific aircraft setup (i.e. GPS source, cabling to transponder and transponder setup) has to be approved. In the US, Trig for example has a set of STCs for their transponders that cover various combinations, but it seems they've not done this in EASA land yet, thus it can't be connected...
alexbrett2 wrote:AIUI the issue is not the transponder's approval for doing the ADS-B out, but that the specific aircraft setup (i.e. GPS source, cabling to transponder and transponder setup) has to be approved. In the US, Trig for example has a set of STCs for their transponders that cover various combinations, but it seems they've not done this in EASA land yet, thus it can't be connected...

Hi Alex,
But that contradicts the information by wigglyamp in the first post? :?
Not quite - the information in the first post is that Garmin have now done the generic STCs for some of their transponders, thus with one of those you can now do ADS-B out easily.

I was just highlighting that it's these STCs which are required, and not just the ETSO approval of the device (this is in the context of the Bendix-King KT74 (which is I believe actually manufactured by Trig), which has ETSO approval but no EASA STCs for the aircraft installation)...